Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Death and Destruction Strike Again


Well, I think I spoke too soon. Fifteen baby chicks.... are now fifteen missing baby chicks. I know, it's rough news to absorb. And there is one and only one rooster left in the hen house. Or chicken coop shall we call it now... 

Today we continued to work around the rain; outside when possible, then running for cover when necessary. Monday we had too close of an encounter with lightening which sent my heart racing, my lungs pumping as I screamed, jumped up from weeding lettuces and ran like an out of shape white girl as fast as I could to the packing room. We sat it out for about ten minutes. (And yes, we did find out, lightening struck of the the rods on Farmer Thomas's home..) 

We've harvested all the garlic scapes, so now the garlic will begin to do it's thing; sending all it's energies and nutrients to making the bulb. And our clothes- and apartment- wreak of garlic. Mostly because our clothes are covered in the juices. But also, our barn apartment is in the root cellar, directly next to the cooler where all the garlic scapes are sitting in bins, awaiting for CSA delivery on Thursday.

In addition to garlic, I also smell of cilantro. I guess things could be worse. It's just a regular old pico de gallo Fiesta in our home! Ole! Actually we are eating ALOT of cilantro. On beans, rice, eggs, salads... We enjoy salads made with frisee and boston and red lettuces. Arugula. Scallions. Zucchini and Squash have just been picked in the past five days. 

Unfortunately when we headed into the fieldhouse to harvest beets... many, many had been chomped on by some rodent. Voles? Not to be confused with moles. But, our CSA members will be enjoying some beets- maybe not the biggest and best- but we found several nonetheless. Additionally we will be delivering dill, mustard greens, radishes, cilantro, frisee, lettuce, garlic scapes, and possibly peas.

Farmer's Market on Saturday's has gone very well. Last week was our last week to sell strawberries (the season is over) so I'm sure our popularity, as well as income, will be down. Last week Chris and I returned to the farm with only seven heads of lettuce, a few herbs and two heads of escarole! I was proud. This week we will add a few more new items: chard, mustard greens, radishes and parsley. I enjoy market. And I enjoy my 2:00 nap each Saturday afternoon as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment