Saturday, September 15, 2012

We're still here

I realize it’s been awhile. However, I assume you know how it is out here on the farm. It’s harvest season. It’s busy. I’m knee deep in tomatoes and pepper and green beans. And now, above our little root cellar barn apartment, the barn is completely full of not only garlic, but onions, pumpkins and winter squash galore. They are very pretty though...

I thought I’d sort of deviate from the farm talk, and fill you in on mio.

What I’ve been wearing: SPF 30, Neosporin as hand cream, my tiny leaf necklace that Heidi gave me for Christmas, a motorcycle helmet from time-to-time, and more clothes than usual. I’ve actually worn wool socks and layered on three shirts already. It is still summer. I’ve got to make it eight more weeks. I’ve been warned it will be cold and wet and it might just snow. Oh, and I’ve been wearing food-prep gloves. Those hot peppers (jalapenos, big bomb, NuMex Joe, pablano, and even banana peppers) will eat through your skin. I have to take of my contacts at some point each day. Whew-wee.

What I’ve been eating: (I’ll spare you the list of farm veggies, although that’s most of my diet currently. And oh, so good. Blender full of salsa anyone? )But, I also like Stoneybrook Farms Greek frozen yogurt, even though a pint of it costs more than a half gallon of Bluebunny. Pumpkin granola. Ginger gold and Honeycrisp apples. Whole-wheat cous-cous (prepared with loads of farm veggies), cottage cheese, peanuts & candy corn by the handfuls (Do it. Go buys some and eat it.), and sweet potato chips. (There, I said it. Salty, crunchy, kettle style potato chips.)

What I’ve been reading: Whole Woman Homeopathy and Practical Homeopathy both of which I checked out from the public library. Being raised by a mother who practiced homeopathy and gave me little white pellets to nibble on from time to time- I was curious just what it was all about; the science and origin behind this sort of alternative medicine. I also have been having a wonderful time with Farm Fresh Flavors. I renewed it three times. It pretty much became my book. I really should just buy it. It’s a wonderful cookbook that is divided into chapters based on the main veggie ingredient. Perfect! I think I actually got food stains on the pages… BTW public libraries around here are amazing: lovely, well kept, up-to-date, nice facilities.

I also bought A Homemade Life at Barnes and Noble on our trip into the big city of Saratoga… It’s my sort of book that mixes memoir and recipes and life around the kitchen table. The author writes about the memories that certain dishes bring for her and how some foods become special to us all. Good easy read. Delicious sounding recipes.

Anne Lamott’s Grace Eventually, (Thoughts on Faith) because her short stories make me feel normal and blessed and safe. I love her writing and honesty and way that she can question God or the church and her own convictions but still be okay with simply trusting in the end. She’s the best. Find one of her books of short stories. Read it.

Consumer Report. It was in the mail. Farmer Thomas was out of town last week… Sue me.

And I’m still going strong with my read the Bible in a year…. Although currently I am two days behind.

What I’ve been watching: DVD’s of How I Met Your Mother (Season 4,5, and 6) and The Office (because that stuff never gets old. Michael Scott is just hilarious.) Summer turn to fall. Two different sets of chicks grow up, and get awkward, and change color

What I’ve been hearing: crickets, baby chicks, wheels turning onto a gravel drive, Seamus’s purring, the wind whistling in our window, leaves crunching underfoot, massive combines cutting hay and corn, joints popping, and geese flying south for the winter.

Being from the South the geese have not become a normal sound to me, still. When I hear them flying in that amazing V-formation, overhead, I have to pause and look up. It’s awe-inspiring. Last weekend Chris and I woke around 5:00AM to the sound of 15-20 geese flying by. Our window was open and it was the loveliest sound. Much better than some screaming alarm clock or buzzing cell phone chime. It was pleasant to rise to the honking call of onward.

Onward. Keep moving. We are almost there. The season is almost over. Beginning.
Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment