Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Three Chambers in New York

Camille in NYC, Oct 2014


(First, I'd like to thank whoever prayed for my daughter to get a good nights rest last night. She went to bed at 7:15pm and only woke at 3:30am to nurse! And, she didn't get up for the day until 6:30am! AND she's napping right now!!! Has been for over an hour!!!) 
...
Our week long trip to New York went very well, better than expected in most ways. Camille did amazing on the four hour flight and wasn't that very-worst-child-you've-ever-experienced-on-a-plane. She was actually her cheery, engaging, flirty self. AND even though I'm glad I had books and toys and snacks and a special buckle toy made JUST for this flight, and an iPad with baby interactive games and child headphones I borrowed... she really just wanted to people watch, occasionally look out the window, and play with the TV screen on the back of the headrest in front of our seat. 

She slept very little on the way to NY, and crashed the moment we got on the plane for our return trip. Unfortunately, we sat waiting to take off FOR AN HOUR, but she napped about two hours in my arms nonetheless. She didn't understand why she couldn't sit in the floor during turbulence and HAD to sit in my arms, but she got over it. 

I really don't know what we did for four hours. Some sleeping yes, but mostly it was five minutes of this book, four minutes of that music, ten minutes of snacking, two minutes of window watching.... all adding up to one flight.

Little Ladybug in Times Square


Going to New York with Camille was a little difficult, and not in the way one might expect. For me, it made me miss my old life. I had five years in the city. I had a rhythm. I had my life down, my city life.  With Camille in tow I knew it would be difficult to DO NYC like I would normally DO NYC. But, really it was just impossible. No journaling in tiny coffee shops. No visiting the farmers market daily. None of the little restaurants that I'd longed to visit again. No Sokerbit!! Hauling her around and taking everything we might need for the day was just exhausting. By day two, I realized a mid-day trip back to the apartment for napping was necessary. 

But, I changed my attitude and did what I could. We are grateful for this girl. She brings us such joy and LIFE into our home. 

We got bagels at Essabagel one morning. Camille and I played on the playground at the park in our old neighborhood, the park where I used to volunteer and clean out flowerbeds.  We visited Times Square on Halloween and Central Park at dusk. Camille danced on the BIG piano at FAO Schwarz and watched ice skaters at Bryant Park. It was a good trip. But mainly because we got to see so many of the people we love and miss. Honestly, we spent almost more time in friends apartments or catching up somewhere for lunch. 

And that's really why we went. Yes, to see NY, but more-so to introduce Camille to our friends and to spend time with them. I went to the weekly women's bible study at our old church, Trinity Baptist Church, New York and even attended choir rehearsal- just to see familiar faces and listen in. 
...
In alot of ways it feels like a lifetime ago, NYC. Maybe that's just what having Camille around has done. Even if there weren't NYC, I'd have trouble remembering my life before her. I do mourn those days- up early out late. Doing what I want to. Skipping a meal. Eating cupcakes for breakfast. My size 4 pencil skirts and 3" heels have been replaced by Adidas and yoga pants.

It's not right or wrong, it's just different. And this is the season of nursing babies and stretching a dollar and meals in crockpots and going to bed early after watching Parenthood on Instant Netflix. 

Anyway, New York City was good. I don't think I want to move back there. Not with little ones. Not into Manhattan. It's too fast and edgy and young. Like I was back then. 
View from my cousin's mid-town apartment where we stayed

No comments:

Post a Comment