Monday, February 14, 2011

Nostalgia

I really love this picture, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes art/ things/ experiences evoke emotion in us and we can't really put into words what exactly it is that we're feeling. Perhaps it brings to mind a memory of a person or a place or a scent or a funny story or a song.

For instance, I know I took this photo in Paris France on my honeymoon in October, 2006- which was wonderful in and of itself. Marriage, honeymooning, Paris! I like the multiple windows in the image, especially the odd circle window- complete with tiny shutters to fit, lace drapes and a window box. I'm sure a pizza-shaped slice of the window is left open during warmer months. I like the florescent light that hangs above the womens shoe store on the street level. The French language on signs that I can't even read but I like nonetheless.

I think that it's all that is unseen that I like so much in this image. All that is unknown, and all the hidden possibilities. I can imagine it all, pretend, make-up what has happened and will happen in this one tiny section somewhere in Paris.
...

This morning I was listening to my Valentines Day playlist on my iPod. This was Chris's gift to me a couple years ago. I found a new playlist on my iPod with songs like, Fly Me to the Moon, You are so Beautiful to Me, and jazz standards and ballads sung by Frank Sinatra. My hubby is a romantic through and through. I'm lucky ladies, I know... So, listening to these songs- however charming and endearing from my husband- also made me think of my Grandad and his love of big band music.

Valentines Day is cheesy, I know- and I agree that most people are spending ridiculous amounts of money on bad chocolate, whatever cards are left on the shelves at Hallmark, and oversized stuffed animals (don't even get me started!). But I don't think it's bad to set aside a day just to reminisce a little. I think that is what Chris and I do so often on days like our anniversary(s) and Valentines Day; we remember when. Thinking back and telling the stories of "... and then you said..." and "no, no that was not me, you were the one who..." Laughing. Really laughing, hard belly laughs that leave tears in the corners of my eyes. Just the two of us, talking and laughing and sharing side-by-side time.

My boss told me this morning how he went out yesterday afternoon and bought two cards for his wife, one for him to give her and one for his daughter to sign for her. Only when his eight-year-old daughter announced "But dad, tomorrow's not mom's birthday" did he realize that yes, indeed, he had bought birthday cards.

I put chocolates out at the reception desk in a small glass dish: individually wrapped hershey's and peppermint patties and Dove promises. And I think I spared many a fellow the embarrassment of not doing anything today, or at least wishing their lady a "Happy Valentines Day." As men dug through the candies I was asked, "What's the special occasion?" Followed by a quick, "Oh no..."
....

To avoid overly crowded restaurants, prefix menus, bad service and mediocre dishes plated up with a side of high prices we are cooking at home tonight: Lamb loin chops, roasted Brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes. After dinner we'll share a dessert from Black Hound Bakery that Chris picked up on his way home from work.

This place has the most complex sweets, absolutely gorgeous & everything taste exquisite. "Surprise me," I said. "Pick out something we can share." This means it will not be cheesecake or peanut butter (Chris's go-to options) or coconut, ooie-gooie-chocolate-fudgey or spice-cake-esk (my favorites) but something in-between: raspberry, apricot laced, lemon-layered, caramel, hazel-nut, mouse-like.... Not that I've ever turned away anything sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment