Thursday, February 3, 2011

Too much time suckage.

On my friends blog this morning, I read that she was doing a social fast. A media cleanse. Setting aside a period of time to NOT give into the master of creativity suckage known as The Internet.

So, based on her recommendation & following her lead, I too will not be surfing websites all day. I will not bounce back and forth from site to site.

THE RULES:

If you work through the internet - meaning FOR PAY - allot the necessary time needed to check and respond to work email. Work through the internet... not so much! But I do just sit behind a computer all day long. I tend to check my email all day & surf the web when I'm not busy actually "working." - My work is to sit here, answer phones and do whatever else might be needed to be done when called upon (binding, typing minutes, sorting the mail... etc. etc.) So, my goal for the remainder of the work week is to check my email first thing in the morning, then once after lunch, then at home after dinner. Respond as necessary and not read all the email subscriptions I get on on a daily basis.

If email is vital to your work as a writer, allot the necessary time. For instance, I am expecting some pages/responses from my critique partners. Email is not a vital part of my work as a writer, BUT, over the next couple of days, I may write some pretty long emails. Otherwise, my energies will be spent, well, just writing. Writing on my blog, probably, and writing some stories that are way overdue. My mind is pregnant with ideas.

NO blogging, reading other blogs, surfing the internet, twittering, facebooking, stumbling upon, digging, gchatting, yahoo talking, AIMing, iChatting, liking, updating books on Goodreads, hating, crying, whining, eating too much ice cream. (Because that's bad for you.) I will blog- cause that is what I do! But, I will not check Facebook, read Blogs, shop on Amazon, read the news online or spend hour upon hour here at work, looking up recipes, or reading about womens health or new ways to tone your triceps, or which running shoes are best, or signing up for races or scrolling through kayak looking of the cheapest tickets to anywhere- just to get away. I will respond to texts on my phone, but that's about it.

9:00AM Thursday, Feb. 3rd- 9:00AM Monday, Feb. 7th. - 48 hour fast... Please, I'm going all in!

I need to spend some time with my thoughts. Perspective. Dreams. Goals. Typing out prayers........... sigh. And reading when I'm at home this weekend. Although, usually on the weekends I hardly ever get on the computer. And we no longer have cable TV.... so that really isn't an issue for me. (Although, I do have plans to watch the Super Bowl- simply to hang out and be with friends.) I do need to dive head first into a new Fiction novel. I spent ALOT of time reading memoir, biographies, and self-help books. I deserve some fiction, an escape, a break from "learning."

No comments:

Post a Comment