Tuesday, April 26, 2011

And the rest of Easter weekend

Saturday I didn't get out of my pajamas. There I said it. It was a rainy, foggy, muggy day- so the weather was perfect for lounging. And even though we left the the apartment for a trip to the library and the grocery store- I still kept my yoga pants and long-sleeved t-shirt on. I simply threw on my galoshes and a raincoat and Viola! New York City here I come!

I did go to the gym too--- again, not much in the way of "getting ready" there either.

It was a restful day; yet still a bit productive. I put away my heavy sweaters, tweed skirts and leggings, did some laundry and cooked a weeks worth of food. I love planning and prepping my food on the weekend: huge vats of quinoa, a big pot of lentils and steel-cut oats that I portion out into individual containers for the work week ahead.

Sunday morning we were at church at 7:45AM! Hallelujah! He Is Risen!

I love Easter Sunday morning and being able to celebrate with my church family the Victory over the cross. The service opened where we left off on Good Friday, with "Were you there, when he rose up from the tomb?" sung a cappella, from the balcony, beautifully by the amazing Jen Harvey. Then Heidi entered with the last candle extinguished during our Tenebrae service. It was all just so simply symbolic and nice. (I know I'm partial because I'm on the Worship Executive Team, however, I'm hopeful people "got it")

The choir sang. The mood was jubilation. And the newly finished, women's restroom was open for business. It was a good Sunday. (However, now that the old women's restroom has become the men's room--- I'm wondering how many near catastrophes there were Sunday morning.)

After church we headed home to our crockpot bubbling up with roast, potatoes and carrots. Chris made gravy to accompany the roast. And I made a huge salad.

And the weather was superb! I even told Chris, "This is the day I've waited for since October." I got to spend time on the sundeck reading and journaling. Chris and I both made phone calls to family and friends back in Texas. I just felt rested and ready to hit the week after a beautiful three day weekend.

Easter provides comfort in knowing that our Savior not only empathizes with us, but he experiences my pain with me. He's been here, he knows just how messy and unfair and rough life can be. Easter is the foundation of our Faith- as Christians. He rose. His life gives us hope that this world and what we can see is only part of reality, only part of the picture.

When Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James found the empty tomb they departed quickly, with fear and great joy to tell the news. Where God is sending us, may bring great joy and also fear- but that's okay as long as we move forward. As long as we move quickly into obedience.

Most of the time, the way God orchestrates things, isn't how I would like to see things unfold. Death on a cross? Pretty sure none of the twelve saw that one coming either. But justice had to be served. Blood had to be shed. The price had to be paid. With out Good Friday there would be no Resurrection Sunday. But, being obedient in the small things leads to obedience in much larger things. To those whom much is given, much is required.

The Bible is not a book of fables, fairy tales or parables. It is Truth. It gives me promises to stand on when I am afraid, when my feet feel like they're stuck in cement and I can't run and all I want to do is sit down and have a glass of wine and cry for an hour. That's when I know God is doing big things. When I'm pushed out of myself and into his grace. He sees me so differently than I see myself, he knows my worth. He's given me grace.

He is Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment