Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life-n-Stuff

I realize each year around this time (well, for the past four years which we've been in NYC) that I haven't taken any pictures with my camera since Christmas.) After Christmas, evidentially, there are no worthwhile events in my life until May. In all honesty, I think that the cold just puts me in the "I can't be bothered with photographs" attitude and when the idea even crosses my mind, Grab your camera!, I push it aside.

Gotham Girls Roller Derby--- nah, too cold. Plus, what would I do with photos of tattooed girls on roller skates?

13.1 Half Marathon Saturday- nah, not taking a purse. I ran last year. I have pictures. Same race, same course, same people

Vegetarian Food Festival- nah, what's there to photograph. Even if I wander the streets on my way home-- it's cold and ugly, there won't be anything photo worthy.

Stef's Birthday Celebrations- I've had previous birthdays. I have photos from those.

And all the Saturday's and Sunday's I spend at farmer's markets, or strolling the park or taking the train all the way downtown just to get a slice of vegan pizza taking my camera does cross my mind, but it's too cold to see artistically through that lens. I don't know what it is really, but I hope to snap out of it in the next 15- 30 days. In the mean time, text filled posts and the occasional phone photo are all there will be. Like this photo- Grass Scented shower gel. I never missed the scent of freshly mowed yard as much as I do now. A B-day gift from my pal Erin.
...

On Sunday I skipped church and attended the first NYC Vegetarian Food Festival. I've been to the Veggie Pride Parade in the past (coming up May 15th) but nothing like this. Even though I got there about 15 minutes before the doors opened and an hour before the first speaker there were about 150 people in front of me and I had to wait an hour to get in the door. After previously considering it, I opted out of the VIP tickets ($50) which would have got me right in and a cute tote bag with free stuff. But once inside it was well worth it.

I especially enjoyed the speakers- which very few people seemed to be taking advantage of. Okay, about 100-200 of us, versus the masses that were weaving their way in-between the booths of free vegan/ veggie snacks.

And here's my opinion on that: just because it's a vegan cupcake doesn't mean it's not a cupcake. Just because it's a vegan cookie doesn't mean it's not made with oils and processed stuff that is not the greatest for your system. Just because it's made with all organic ingredients, doesn't mean that fake chicken nuggets and textured vegetable protein and daiya cheese are great foods to feed your body. My grandmother wouldn't have recognized this stuff as food. And by the by- evaporated cane juice - it's just sugar folks.

I guess staunch veggies are happy that there are alternatives now and ways to "treat" themselves. But it should be just that; a treat. Most vendors at this exhibit were peddling, what I would label, "not real" foods. Vegan marshmallows, vegan cupcakes and cookies, vegan chocolate and cheeses and ice cream. It was a little odd how there were NO vegetables present.

My favorite samples included: dried fruit, raw 100% cocoa, kambucha, raw ice cream, Marys Gone Crackers, and some really good salad dressing with all real, pronounceable ingredients. I bought a book, two bottles of Kambucha for $2 each (instead of the $3.99 that they sell for in the health food stores) and a scoop of Raw Ice Cream for $1. I also walked out with a bag of samples (teas, nutrition shakes, crackers) and loads of pamphlets, fliers, stickers, and handouts. Lots of propaganda (PETA!) some information that's peaked my interest and some that I'll research further. And I heard, on my way out at around 3:00, that the wait time to get in the door was around three hours.

But before I start buying chorella and spirulina and cut all dairy from my diet- tomorrow I'm very excited to have my initial consultation at The YinOva Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment