Monday, April 22, 2013

Hot Head

I'm afraid I'm going to come off sounding a little bitter and New Yorker here, but just let me vent. Some days are like this. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones. Or the temperature that's creeping up toward 80 degrees. Or that I have no air conditioning in my car (and the temperature is creeping up toward 80 degrees).

I went to the DMV today.

Now, yes, most DMV, like most post office visits, are terrible. Expectantly so. Long lines. Terrible service. It's part of life, for most, but one we like to quickly forget. I didn't go in this morning with high expectations. BUT, I need a Texas drivers license. I don't really want one. I'll admit giving up my NY drivers license changes a lot for me (if only in my own little head). Reality is reality, however. I haven't lived in NYC in over a year. Upstate NY since November. I went to get a license though, before I get any more pregnant, lest I look like a version of myself that I don't want to show the security guard at the airport in three years.

But I went and I left without a drivers license. Because:

1. I don't have my registration. Yes, the sticker is on the car, but that is not good enough. They want the piece of paper that I ripped the sticker off of two months ago and threw in the trash. ("If you go down to the tax office they can print you out a registration for $2.00." REALLY!!!?? What about I take a picture on my phone of the registration sicker on the car?)

2. The car isn't registered in my name, it's registered in Chris'. So, he has to fill out at affidavit stating yes, that we are actually married.

3. It's hard to prove our physical address is indeed our physical address. EVERYONE in Ben Wheeler told us immediately upon moving here, "Get a PO Box. You won't get your mail at your physical address. Ever." And we don't. So we did. The two bills we pay, have the churches address. Because we live in the parsonage. So, our name is nowhere on the electric or gas bill.... She didn't like that. (AND because the words, "I live in the parsonage. See here, it's our address, just not our name on the bill..." I can not roll my eyes and slam down my keys and shake my head in disbelief.

4. Additionally, they would like my social security card and my birth certificate, just to have them on file. I told her I had a TX DL from 1996-2006 and she had no problem finding me in "The System." But that wasn't good enough. And, evidently, now, they keep copies of these legal documents "on file." Why? This wasn't normal protocol in 1996.... I'm still me though, so let's take this picture while I'm still a normal weight and my hair looks good and it's not 102 degrees out and get me that TX DL ASAP, lady.

So, I left. with a list of things to go home and find, or to pay to obtain, and a stack of papers to fill out.

I'm thinking about remaining a New Yorker a little while longer.
......

Some days these things bother me more than others. Because later I stopped by Office Depot for three little items. I hesitated to give the cashier my phone number but did it anyway. She doesn't need it. No, I don't have a rewards card. No, I don't want one.

Then, I refused a bag for my one item that would actually fit in a bag, but the cashier persisted. I said "no thank you" again. She insisted that my item be bagged. So I  let her. THEN, an employee came to my assistance and offered to help me take my three items out to my car. I said it was not necessary. He insisted (what is it with these people?). Three items. Granted two were large - but not heavy. And I don't look that pregnant. OR do I??

Nice people. Grrrrr. I miss New York. Get in. Get out. Don't make eye contact.
I'm hot. I'm cranky. 
I need a dipped cone from Dairy Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment