Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Just Mom Stuff

Two weeks from today, we will find out if we are having a boy or a girl. (Sorry if this blog has gone all nursing bra and mommy-ish. It's not my intent. Baby: it's just what consumes my thoughts so much of the time.)

Remember when I didn't even know what a baby Bjorn was but I bought one for this sweet baby girl? Well, now I am doing my reading- and learning Moby from Maya- and will be using the very bjorn that I bought for my friend to carry my own little baby. How cool is that? I have the nicest friends. One with two boys and one with two girls and both are cheering me on, in the gender game. Secretly hoping I'll be able to have/ borrow/ take their things. Either way, I am grateful.

So, as odd as it may seem, we are planning a natural birth with a midwife but will have one sonogram. And we do want to know the sex of the baby. Even though it'll be the end of September before we meet for the first time, this will help us know our little one a bit more.  And it's a milestone; something to celebrate I guess. On Mother's Day week. I can not wait.

Besides slings and cribs and car seats and strollers the thing I want to get most right is the brand of cloth diaper we decide you use. My husband, being male, remembers the cloth diapers we wore in 1980 and thought that was still the option. The brands and types and sizes and material for cloth diapers these days is astonishing. That, and the fact that they cost $15-$25 each. But I really, really want to give this a try.

I think for the most part people think I'm crazy. Out of touch with reality. Have no idea what it will really be like. "Natural birth?" sure.... "Cloth diapering?" sure.... "Stay home and raise your family?" right.... "And sweetie, nursing ain't as easy as you think!" I know.

I know I have no idea. But, I can't help but think that it can be done. Women HAVE indeed done it. Some of my friends. My own mother. It is just what I think is right, and how I always pictured things for my family. No hospitals. No unnecessary testing. My desires being considered. And chubby nursing babies running around in saggy cloth diapers. And my husband wants it too. He's on board 100% with a doula and birthing at a birth center and cloth diapers and mashing up our own squash and peas and sweet potatoes when I come time to introduce solid food to our child.

And yes. It'll be work. And I'll be tired. And I'll wish I had time to even steam some broccoli or wash enough laundry. And I'll be tired. But we will make it. I simply have to believe, there is no other place I'm meant to be than where I am right now. God has blessed us with this child and He will take care of us- even when all I see is a gray fog surrounding me.

Phil 4:6-7
Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment