Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I love Libby.

Some may say I'm extreme. Or a bit silly. I say- I absolutely LOVE pumpkin. Anything with pumpkin I will try, at least once, especially this time of year. Living in New York, my pumpkin options are not limited to the average pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie.

This season alone I have tasted some exceptional pumpkin eats. First, the picture here, is of the pumpkin items that were in my house just last night: pumpkin ice cream (clocking in at 120 calories and 4 grams of fat per 1/2 cup serving), pumpkin fudge from Dylan's Candy Bar, and a pumpkin bagel with pumpkin cream cheese.

Knowing of my pumpkin insanity, a dear friend bought me this bagel yesterday in Brooklyn and delivered it to me last night. I am truly afflicted with this pumpkin thing. The bagel shop in my old neighborhood in Astoria features pumpkin cream cheese seasonally- but a pumpkin bagel is a whole new thing unto itself. And yes, those are pumpkin seeds in the lovely, orange pumpkin bagel. Chris said the ice cream tasted more Eggnog-ish than pumpkin-y, with all the cinnamon and nutmeg, but I could bathe in it. The fudge was my movie snack (A Christmas Carol) which I shared across the row and up and down the aisles. It's pretty amazing.

Alice's Tea Cup offers their famous pumpkin scones, which are more like a soft, warm, biscuit than a crumbly scone. Red Mango is currently serving pumpkin frozen yogurt- with graham cracker crumbs, and of course there is Starbucks with that pumpkin latte (which, I will admit, I have not had this year.) I don't like drinking my calories. I did have pumpkin ice cream at Braums when I was home in Texas, AND a pumpkin blizzard from Dairy Queen. (It had ginger snaps mixed in and was served with a dollop of whipped cream with cinnamon on the top!)

Most of these things I have once during the season, sharing bites and tastes with friends, lest I fall victim to the downward spiral of guilt and self-loathing (been there, done that). I've had pumpkin soup, pumpkin ravioli, and even pumpkin dressing on a beautiful salad. And, I've made ALOT of pumpkin mousse this year. I've eaten ALOT of pumpkin mousse this year. Recently, when I was in Texas staying with a friend, I made pumpkin mousse about four times. This was during one week. I've made pumpkin muffins too, which I like to send with Chris to work, keeping two or three for me. That's why the office staff likes me- I make treats. I even take orders from time-to-time.

That is why I love Libby. Libby's pumpkin - which is pureed pumpkin, not to be confused with canned pumpkin pie filling. I put this stuff in my oatmeal- with a dash of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and splenda, I put it in my protein shake, and in my Sugar-Free Jello instant pudding.

And, even though there has been a shortage, I keep my pantry stocked. I can't get enough pumpkin. I'll slow down my intake when my skin begins to turn orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment