Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Boogers, Rasberry Blistex and Bleeding Knuckles.

I know I keep telling you cold wintery tales. However, I am still facinated by the weather up here- and actually having to "be out in it." It amazes me that I do what I do. Every single day. (Except for Sunday. I skipped church because of the snow. And I still had a holiday get together thingy, sorry God. I'm a bad Christian I know.)

Where I from we don’t have winter. We don’t have snow or salt covered sidewalks or Uggs. People don’t wear winter coats that look like full body-length sleeping bags. I had never seen chains on the tires of a city bus or people shoveling their way out of the driveway until I moved here. The Salvation Army bell ringers don’t wear suits or sing Christmas Carols or yell at you like the emcees on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon from the karaoke machine sitting at there feet.

And it’s cold outside, real cold. I never realize the unavoidable nose leakage until that clear snot hits me in the upper lip. Why does that happen? And my eyes water. I wear knee-high hosiery underneath wool socks to work each day with my big ugly shoes where I change into my heels.

High heels. Black, platform, pho-snake skin, tall and pointy-toed heels. I’ll admit, I am a bit discussed at the way I have to come into work each day, all 5’6” with no added height whatsoever, in leather shoes with a good grip- but again I say, it’s all about staying warm- and being able to walk down the sidewalk as well. The higher the heel and the pointier the toe the more feminine (read “sexy”) I feel.

Well, I just feel confident. Even if my pants are hand-me-down’s (hand-me-up’s??) from my younger sister and I got my blouse from Housing Works, at least my shoes are nice. Oh, and my handbag. Those are two things I spend money on- shoes and handbags.

And Merry Christmas to me, because I just bought a $200 purse yesterday at Banana Republic for $90. Thank You pre-holiday Sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment