Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Weighlifting, Two Cups of Coffee & a Quicky

... all before 8:00am. And thus my day began.

I wore all black today- just so I could dawn my red, velvet heels for the winter. They may seem a bit eclectic, or non-practical, but I wear them quite a bit each winter. They really help me get in touch with my inner sass & I think every woman should have a pair. (Or at least the comparable for those who are not as bold as I am, like lacy undergarments or a big hat or fifteen silver bangle bracelets. Something that says,"I own this room. I'm confident. I'm bold. I'm alive.")

It was 37 degrees as I walked to the subway this morning - (not in my red velvet heels, but in my Borns--YIKES!!) but, I enjoyed it. The cold, crisp air and not working up a sweat before climbing into the MTA pit with all the other people headed to work. It's a funny thing, cramming your body into a subway car with total strangers. There were more people on my subway this morning than there are in the town I grew up in. Eustace, Texas- population 800-something. Weird. And even weirder still is that sometime in the past two and a half years, this has become normal to me.

Thanksgiving was good. My pies were good. Turkey and dressing and sweet potato rolls- all good! Wednesday night I cooked, Thursday I ate, Friday and Saturday I tried to catch moments outside in the sun, and Sunday- more singing, relaxing, and trying to catch more moments in more sun. I walked through Central Park and found myself taken aback by how much had changed since I'd been there last. Seasons- there an amazing thing- and something totally new to me, being from Texas. Something about that place- knowing you are minutes, mere footsteps even, from thousands of people, but feeling so alone in that moment. And Monday--- it was back to work. December is always so busy with parties and dinners and concerts and out-of-town guests and moving.

We moved last December from Astoria into Manhattan and this December we are moving again. Across the hall to a true one-bedroom. Hopefully, sometime around December 15th we can scoot all of our things down the hall. We are really looking forward to it because we get to keep our fabulous view, we don't have to hire movers, and we get more than one closet!! Chris is looking forward to the pass-through bar so he can eat & watch TV at the same time, which is not currently allowed in our home. (I like to have a quiet dinner time at the table where we "discuss our day.") But, living room dinners may be acceptable from time-to-time.

So, sometime after December 15th we can put up a tree (hopefully). I have been promised a hand-me-down tree, which I do not oppose, however, it still sits in a basement in Jersey. But, I have recently started rallying for a real tree.

In NYC the day after Thanksgiving the tree salesmen pop up overnight across the city. Currently, my argument for buying a real tree vs. getting a free tree are:

1. If we got a small, real tree I would not be tempted to decorate it with ornaments and lights and garland - none of which we have, all of which are in storage in Eustace, Texas with our Christmas dishes, nativity set, stockings, etc.
2. If we purchased a real tree we wouldn't have to store it.
3. I wouldn't spend additional monies on lots and lots of ornaments, lights, and garland for our small tree. It would be more like a large house plant.
If not a tree, then maybe just a swag with berries or a wreath or something, ANYTHING to denote Christmas.

I moved to NYC with two ornaments, a fall/ holiday garland thing I got at Pier One, and a penguin candy dish. The penguin is wearing a hat and scarf. Pretty pitiful. I know I'd rather have a new apartment than a new silver necklace or new lip gloss or a new journal, but I want Christmas to be somewhat festive.

I want it to feel like Christmas. For the same reason I'm wearing my red lacy undies that Chris got me- the ones that match my red heels and red lipstick. It's merry. It's holiday-ish. It's glad tidings of great joy (okay, maybe not.) Watch out world, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment