Thursday, January 27, 2011

Things I'd rather be doing than sitting at work today:

When I looked out the widows of our apartment at 7:00 this morning and could see no buses, no taxi cabs and about six people (who were walking down the center of First Avenue, the only place to find traction in an otherwise 12-15" covered path) I decided to go ahead and be late to work.

Last night the other receptionist texted me, "Who decides if we're closed tomorrow and how will I find out?" I replied, "We will be open. See you then."

But, this morning, even though the New York City Dept. of Education was closed for the day (Chris was happy!) and even though there was 19" of snow recorded in Central Park, and even though from 32 stories above the city, it appeared pretty vacant, I knew I would be going to work.

Only after I had my still/ alone/ quiet time with God & a cup of coffee. Spent 1 1/2 hours at the gym downstairs (have I mentioned I LOVE my gym in my building!!!). Waited on bus service to resume--- about 9:15AM. Then I left. But buses were still not really running. So I walked .8 miles in 15-19" of snow. But once I stepped down into the pit of the 4/5/6 train on 86th Street-
All was working like a well oiled machine. Trains running, people few and far between, it was 9:45am: the perfect scenario. Think Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz when the she and the fella's are getting all dolled up to meet the wizard.

Ha ha ha
Ho ho ho
And a couple of tra la las
That's how we laugh the day away
In the merry old land of Oz

And I arrived to work at 10:00 on the dot. Just like I told my bosses I would when I emailed them this morning at 7:00. However, I was the only on who thought today was a bad weather day because the office was-a-bustlin'. Two meetings going on in two conference rooms with external guests. People-- at their desks. Messengers with packages, phones ringing.


And I'm thinking, "Do these people ever stop?" I know ALOT of people didn't go to work today, my commute was evident of that. There were seats available on the train, where usually I have to wait on two or three trains to pass. When the subway was pulling up as I rounded the corner down to the express train platform I literally muttered, "Sweet." Aloud.

So, instead of answering a few calls and eating my roasted Brussels sprouts at my desk I'd much rather be at home.

At home I could:

Watch Sherlock Holmes with my husband (who is home from school today)

Give myself a manicure- take off this Essie Chocolate Kisses (brown) color and perhaps go with Wavy Navy (deep blue) or keep it simple with Happily Ever After (soft pink)

Continue reading Bill Hybles, The Power of a Whisper or Mennonite in the Little Black Dress or the book I got from the library on Running for Women. I love the library. But I couldn't go there today. Because it's a government run. And it's closed today.

Do some laundry.

Make a pot of decaf.

Find a recipe & cook up some parsnips and eggplant- together, or not...

Do some yoga stretching.

Listen to my choir music since choir was canceled last night.
....

It's hard to be late or leave early or meander in when it's convenient when you're the receptionist.
No Snow Days! Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment