Monday, January 10, 2011

Work it Out

So, everyone wants to "get in shape." Everyone wants to loose twenty-five pounds. Everyone wants to run a marathon, or get more tone, or have better endurance, or just be healthier. Tomorrow. But the only way to get there is to set obtainable goals, have the drive to stick to it, and be kind to yourself along the way.

I am currently working toward another half-marathon in April. Although I run, jog, and work that elliptical machine with all I've got there's a big difference between sweating through one hour/ 600 calories/ 6 miles and making it 13.1 miles outside. Outside where there are hills and wind and possibly rain and the temperature in early April could easily be in the 30's or 40's.

I don't have a real fitness/ health/ get in shape "resolution." I try to just be someone who is healthy. It's easy for me this way rather than to think of it as a button I press "on" or "off." I really dislike the no sugar, no carbs, no eating after 5:00pm, no caffeine diets. I just can't go there.

In regards to fitness my objective is to be willing to change it up a bit. AND to not punish myself if I miss a workout here or there.
...
We have a gym in our building, which we (the tenants of River East) and the Marriott Hotel share. For a monthly fee (which we have to pay in six month increments) we get: five treadmills, two elliptical machines, two stationary bikes, about six weight machines, and a plethora of free weights. All this in addition to: a pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room. I did take a six month hiatus during the spring and summer when I was spending my activity time in Central Park and doing yoga. During my time away, they've added a stability ball, resistance bands, floor mats and one of those weighted balls to do ab work with.

So, I've been looking online and in all my women magazines for things I can do at the gym incorporating these new tools. Toys really. I have to admit I have not been very successful. Most things I find are either too difficult for my soft, mushy, curvy, core OR I feel really silly doing them in the sort-of smallish gym. And in all honesty, I haven't looked very hard either. I know there are many websites and You Tube videos dedicated to this sort of thing. So, I need to keep looking.
...
The "in the building" gym situation is quite odd. There are about 12 of us that are regulars. Two of them happen to live on our floor: the older Asian gentleman who only jogs on the treadmill and uses the steam room and the 40-ish looking man with the little boy who turned two in October. There are only six units on each floor, so it's not that hard to recognize faces.

In addition there are the Chambers twins- girls in their early 20's- who live on the 14th floor. One works at Ann Taylor- I know this because we always get their mail. There's the guy who only runs like one mile in the mornings. Seriously, that is all I've ever seen him do. There is the mid-twenties guy who is doing rehab. He comes to the gym with his physical therapist- a beautiful Asian girl with a long pony tail and perfect skin. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of flirting/ sexual tension between the two of them. He's been doing rehab for some time now and no longer wears his headgear or leg braces but only supports on his wrists. (I think he was hit by a car. I heard this eavesdropping, of course.) There are others who use the pool and hot tub. And there are always those odd people (like myself) who use the gym while vacationing in NYC; guests of the Marriott.

Anyway, now there is a guy named Dan. (Who looks alot like Jeff Goldbum from Law and Order.) How do I know this? Because he hit on me, asked me out and told me what his apartment number he lived in the first time I saw him in the gym. This was after I just finished five miles on the treadmill. I looked about like I did in the above photo. Really, Dan? Really? It was right before New Years, and the holidays... maybe he was just lonely. Regardless, I don't want to talk to people at the gym, I want to listen to The Eye of the Tiger, challenge myself to 15.0 incline and mayve do some lunges. That's it! Now now it's just weird. Because when I get to the gym and he's there, I want to turn right back around and leave and when he comes into the gym and I'm already in there I want to leave.

For instance: Last night. I wanted to do legs after I finished up on the stationary bike. BUT, because Mr. Creepster was in there I left. Only after I tied my hoodie around my waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment