Monday, August 15, 2011

Rain, thieves and new growth

Good Monday morning. It's a new week and we're half way through August already. It's payday. And here in the Northeast it has been raining for twenty-four hours straight. Gutters are bubbling over, small branches are scattered all along the sidewalks and transportation is a nightmare. Rain is in the forecast for the next week!

Of course, I haven't had to get on the subway all weekend so I'm grateful that I've been able to avoid the mighty rivers that rush down subway stairs and the pools of water that stand for days underground.

I was disappointed in my neighbors and fellow human beings this morning when I discovered my umbrella had been taken from outside the front door or our apartment. There are about fifteen other apartments on our floor and others had left out their umbrellas to dry out as well. I had intended to bring my umbrella in after I finished the laundry, but I forgot. Then, this morning, when heading out ... well, it wasn't there. I'd like to think better of my building tenants.

Even though this technically is my fault and not a big deal in the scope of eternity- it's the sort of thing that makes me want to think ill of this person. I want to curse the thief and wish all sort of bad things for them. I know I'm not supposed to, even if it were a big deal. I just don't like thieves. Or liars.

Luckily, I caught the first break in the downpour on my commute in and didn't even need to open my umbrella. (My second string, crappier umbrella....) This didn't keep my from wearing my new galoshes into work, though. My mom brought me these from Texas the last time she came to visit. They are pretty bold.

Then, I got to my office this morning and my begonia looked like this. Isn't this terribly sad? It's not too dry and it's not droopy because of root rot. I did forget to leave it in the widow-sill this weekend, but there really wasn't all that much sunshine to be had.

Dying house plants depress me. But, I think all is not lost here though. I think that the larger leaves are wilting and the little plant is putting more energy into new growth. I re-potted the plant about three weeks ago - which gave it more room and rich soil and now there are tiny buds coming out at the base of the stem and new shoots popping up through the soil. I'm hopeful.
...

Over the weekend, which started at 1:00pm on Friday for me, I did get in two more bike rides and had the luxury of treating myself to one last pedicure for the summer. Friday afternoon I rode my bike around the Central Park loop and Saturday back down Park Avenue again. In spite of the traffic and noise and exhaust fumes, I'm really not that alarmed or frightened to ride my bike in the city. I think it has something to do with riding on the back of a motorcycle for so long.

In a way, I'm used to being up close and personal with bumpers and parked cars and vehicles that don't obey traffic signs or state enforced rules of driving. I'm cautious, assuming no one can see me, and thinking how that most drivers in NYC, really probably do hate bicyclers. But I'm not scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment