Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Working for the Weekend

It's only Tuesday, and I'm already wanting to get in my rubber life boat and sail ashore. I want out before this ship starts to sink. Leaving me doggy paddling before I sink from exhaustion. I'm not sure why, we are in the middle of the dog days of summer and things are very slow, but at work is not where I'd like to be.

This past weekend was one of the nicest in a long, long time. Chris and I spent the entire day together Saturday. And while I wouldn't want to spend each Saturday together, all day, this one was exceptionally nice. (Especially since last weekend, he was laid up with the Malaria.)

We got our bikes out and rode down Park Avenue taking advantage of Summer Streets which may seriously be the highlight of my summer. If not, it's in the top three things I love about New York. It makes me happy to be in a "wide open space" without cars even if it is just for three Saturdays from 7am-1pm. In addition to pedaling freely, without having to look both ways and throwing caution to the wind, there is much activity and plenty of free things to be had. The one I'm most excited about is my free bicycle helmet. (Chris opted out!)

We loaded our backpack with Odwalla bars, Stonyfield Farm yogurt, Red Bull, string cheeses and temporary tattoos that said "make NYC your gym" with an image of Lady Liberty flexing her bicep.

Saturday evening we took the train from Penn Station into New Jersey where we got my ring fixed. Well, we left in with the jeweler and will go back to get it in the coming weeks. (Which means, another trip to New Jersey.) It's weird that it takes 45 minutes to get somewhere not really that far away at all. When Chris pointed out the Empire State Building in the distance I was surprised.

Fortunately, that trip into Jersey wasn't all for nothing (Not that going to Jared's and getting my engagement ring mended is unimportant- but it's such a destination location. Plus, if we're getting out of the city, I want to make it worth my wild.) We were on foot - not the greatest idea in New Jersey- so our options for going and doing and seeing were limited. Luckily, we'd made arrangements and some dear friends picked us up, and treated us to dinner at their home.
...
In New Jersey, apartments are larger, rent's are more affordable and for Stefani the grass seems greener. As I sprawled out on the cream colored area rug in their living-room floor, Matt played a song from My Fair Lady on his piano. Their two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment & car do not come without a price though. There are all the costs involved with owning a vehicle and additional costs ($160 a month or more) for using New Jersey Public Transit- 'cause they don't take NYC Metro cards in Jersey.

For dinner we had spinach and artichoke stuffed portobellos & a Thai inspired dish made with brown rice noodles, ginger, peanut butter, broccoli, bell peppers and carrots. They apologized because they forgot to add the tofu. And because the two dishes really didn't "compliment" one another. But this was completely unimportant to Chris and me- who noshed each bite with satisfaction. This was our first meal prepared by our "foodie friend" and it was delicious.

I'll add here that Matt was the Guac-off winner at our Worship Arts end of year party. And-- he knew more that I did when his wife and he wandered the streets of Bastille Day with me in July while Chris was in Rwanda. He recognized bakeries and patisseries and restaurants by their executive chef's names. It was like seeing a boy on Christmas morning as he pounced from one booth to the next eating maroons and lemon tarts and beef bourguignon. I knew then, I liked these people.

I also knew I had found a fellow food snob when he declared that "next year at the men's retreat I will be handling the food!" "The food at the Mancation was awful." I'm imagining burnt toast, eggs made from powder and mashed potatoes from a box. When I asked him what they ate he said, "Hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill." Served with white bread I'm sure. And I bet they were those pre-formed patties that you get in cases of 25 or so at Costco; Ball Park Franks with French's mustard. But, I didn't really see what the big deal was. I was thinking, "Come on dude. Just be a team player... Even if just for two nights." I was. I ate pancakes and rubbery chicken and went 24 hours without a vegetable when I went on my meditation retreat. I survived....

Anyway, the meal was nice. The conversation natural and real. I read aloud from I book I picked up off their shelves, "Stuff White People Like" and found it laugh-out-loud funny. My favorites might be #112 Hummus, #120 Taking a Year Off, #48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops, and #9 Making You Feel Bad About Not Going Outside. I digress, but it's really funny stuff. Anna showed me dress patterns she had just purchased and material swatches. Over wine we talked about authors and musicians and how Scrubs is our go-to show on Instant Netflix.

After a wonderful evening we caught the 11:16pm train back to Manhattan. And then a cab in the rain back to East 62nd Street. Home in the middle of NYC again.
...
Sunday I yoga-ed,went to church, ate gazpacho for lunch while Chris ate tacos from his favorite hole-in-the-wall-baja-style taco place. We talked about Chris's new position and goals for the fall semester. Wandering the streets of NY is so much more pleasurable with someone else- stopping for frozen yogurt and playing with a Nook at Barnes and Noble and looking for the farmer who sold us the amazing ears of corn last Sunday. Wonderful, wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment