Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Veggie Stew

1 ginormous head of cabbage - $3.00
1 onion- .60 cents
2 tomatoes, 2 zucchini & 1 clove of garlic- $6.00
2 big fat carrots- $1.65

All this plus maybe a little brown rice and turkey sausage (I gotta keep my man full, and veggies just might not do it.) You'd actually probably laugh if you saw how I portion this completed stew out. I ladle "mine" into my individual corningware: veggies only. I add some sort of meat and carb to Chris's servings. Not that I don't need protein and carbs, but I like veggies alone more often that not. And I'm a HUGE freak about my personal portion control.

Which is why at Le Pain Quotidien this morning when I said, "just a splash of half-and-half" I meant just a splash. It made me a nervous wreck letting someone else control my coffee to milk ratio. But I managed.
...

Making my last veggie stew of the season tonight with ingredients from the farmer's market leaves me a little saddened. Although the Union Square Farmers Market is open year-round, four days a week- the season of bounty is drawing to a close...

I love walking the market and wandering through the stands. I bought these items from four different farmers & I also just had to buy two more apples. Even though I already have three waiting to be eaten.

I just love farmers and farming and the smell of onions and fennel and wet wood at the farmers market.

No comments:

Post a Comment