Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving

Chris and I spent the week of Thanksgiving in Texas visiting family and friends. I always struggle after such a retreat and vacation, of sorts, to sit down and write.

There is so much to say.

For now, I'll just tell you what some of my favorite moments of the Trip to Texas were.

1. Getting to know my best friend Lora's daughter, two year old Tessa, even more. We spent a couple of nights in the Stockhammer's home and while Tessa called me "Stefani" as best she could, Chris was simply referred to as "other people." The entire trip.

2. Looking through my Nana's recipe boxes that my mother now has possession of. My Nana died in 1997 when I was seventeen years old. At the time to me it seemed that I was actually very lucky to get to know my Nana. But now I realize, I hardly knew her at all. As I've grown from a youth, to a married woman of thirty-one, I wish I had more time with her.

Her recipe boxes were stuffed with mostly handwritten recipe cards, although some had been typed with the typewriter. The From the Kitchen of line was always filled in and there were many, many women's names. There were clippings from newspapers, magazines and pamphlets. These I enjoyed most, especially reading the backs of the recipes themselves- what other "news" was going on at the time and what prices were at the supermarket.

3. Riding motorcycles with my husband and my father through the East Texas farmland right before sunset. The temperature was biting, but overall it was glorious.

4. Walking the railroad track to the train trestle with Chris, my sister Laura and my brother Jonathan.

5. Being "gifted" with a most needed and relaxing facial from my sweet friend Alaina. I got to see her new space and enjoy being pampered by her special touch. She is now self-employed and seems quite content and terribly busy with clients. What a blessing.

6. Spending the night at my sister's beautiful home on Lake Athens, waking each morning to make a pot of coffee and sit in her alcove window seat looking out into the woods.

7. Stashing some of my mothers homemade rolls away and bringing them back to NYC with me! Mmmm, warm (although reheated) homemade bread plain or with butter and cinnamon. I could survive on this alone.

8. Quietness. Darkness. Stillness.

No comments:

Post a Comment