Thursday, January 12, 2012

How it's not going

Regarding item three on this of possibilities, it is not going as planned. Having said this, I am quite pleased with the changes I have been able to make.

Eating only fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds was only doable for about two days. I was hungry. So, I introduced some quinoa, some lentils, corn chips.... I know that I should really "take it easy" when doing a sort of detox like that- but I was hitting the gym doing my regular routine on most days.

Sugar has not been hard to eliminate, for the most part, but coffee--- YES! I've had my coffee with soy milk every day. Decaf, half-caf, at 2:00 in the afternoon --- it doesn't matter, but I've had it. As I journal, or sit in Sunday school, or read my daily devotional, it's just a part of my day. It's so much more than that nutty, bitter taste.

So, I haven't really followed the "plan" that I found, on some website, on some random Thursday as I surfed the web at work- BUT I've maintained a vegan diet for twelve days. Additionally, I'm really trying to limit wheat (from previous experience, this was a good thing for me) and not eat processed food stuffs. Obviously, this does not happen all day every day, but I think it's notable change for sure.

Simply adopting a vegetarian lifestyle, much less vegan lifestyle is a pretty big adjustment. So, I'm not flogging myself for not doing it "right" and not doing what's written on some website. I'm healthy, and happy and the 80/ 20 rule seems to work pretty darn well for me.

I've been eating alot of soup and apples and almonds and rice (and rice cakes with almond butter....). Tangerines, green beans, broccoli and almond milk. And dark chocolate when my antioxidants need replenished.

Why am I drawn to extremes and rules and following a set standard?

Since the age of seven I've been trying to learn that checking things off a list doesn't always mean success. Being first, or fast, or making straight A's or doing all that you can to ensure that most everyone likes you doesn't always make you feel what you thought you'd feel: wanted, desirable, validation or happy at all. Those things have to be found within, by BEing not DOing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment