Friday, January 20, 2012

Reflection

This week between 7:30 and 8:30AM I've noticed how the tree right outside our window glows.

In this golden hour the sunshine shoots down our block, rising across the East River on the other side of Queens and lighting up 62nd Street. The rumble of rush hour traffic has already started and the traffic cop hollers her commands in full voice:
"Come on, come on, come on!"
"Let's Go! Let's Go! Let's Go!"
"Move it, Move it, Move it"

Chris says sometimes he imagines that they are seagulls bellowing out there cries. And if you close your eyes and think about it, it really can sound like it. Instead of hideous repetition, it becomes a sort of song, rising above the the steady hum of traffic, which mimic the oceans waves.

This little tree is not ideal and it's not a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains or anything, but it's a tree. It's not really even picturesque, except when it is... But even in the wintertime it's shining with promise, with life. It gives me joy and makes me smile-- and I get to see it daily.

I'm thankful for this simple thing that makes me slow down and think as I rush in from the gym or quickly finish my "read through the Bible in a year" daily reading requirement or take my daily multivitamin.

I'm thankful that God knows just what we need when we need it. Never a moment too soon. He is not slow in keeping His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment