Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Years Possibilities

I usually don't make New Years resolutions. Usually, how it works in my life that is around my birthday each year I evaluate, reflect on the previous year- of my own personal life - and sort of put mini goals in place. Plus as a perfectionist, sometimes I have to ask myself why I'm setting goals in the first place. Because if it's simply to move one more notch closer to my standard of perfection, then that is not a good reason.

I can follow rules, and I can impress a plan down on my life and make it work- sometimes it takes time for my mind, body and spirit to all get on the same page though....

But this year I have a few things I'm working on.

1. Read the Bible in a Year - So, first of all I hate to admit that I've never read the Bible cover to cover. I've never even read the New Testament. I've been wanting to do this for some time, and Chris started reading the Bible last January 2011. After spending hours on Amazon trying to decide if I should buy a chronological Bible or a Bible that has a reading from the OT, the NT, and the Psalms each day... I was like, "really, I just need to pick up one of the eight Bibles we have at home and read it!" I opted for the The Daily Bible.

I just found out, however, our church is reading the New Testament in 100 days starting next week. Why didn't I get this information sooner.

2. Volunteer More- Not wear myself out more, but sacrifice. For others, for the sake of those less fortunate and for the sake of community. This means I'll be shuffling some things in my schedule and dropping some me time. I'm going into this with much prayer and not lightly.

3. Give Vegetarianism a try (again) - I was a vegetarian for a few years in right out of high school and in college. I am am mostly a vegetarian on a day-to-day basis. BUT, for the first twenty-one days of 2012 I'm decided to dive head first into veganism. What?!! (Dietary vegan. An ethical vegan doesn't eat honey or have leather goods and will tell you why you shouldn't eat cows or deer or chickens and may even have a piglet as a pet. I will not. Ever.)

I usually don't disclose my personal dietary convictions on here (although reading between the lines is not hard....) but this is what I'm "doing"

Week One: Fruits, Vegetables, nuts, seeds and plant fats
Week Two: add rice, lentils, and non-wheat grains
Week Three: add seafood, tofu, soy (and maybe something else but I don't have my journal with me presently and that is where I have the website recorded- and the specifics.) Right now, I'm working on making it through week one.

Three weeks: no processed foods, wheat, sugar, dairy or eggs. I can do this!!

I'll be honest, I'm okay without meat and I'm not a cheese girl either. , it's the Greek yogurt and eggs that I miss the most. Oh, and half and half in my coffee. Yeah, I've had coffee every morning. One cup of decaf with soy milk. I figure I'm changing alot to live on only plants this week--- I need my morning joe.

Afterward, I'm going to see how I feel and what I want to do long term. Vegetarianism?? Perhaps.

4. Feel less guilty! I can have opinions, likes dislikes, and say "no" without feeling like I might hurt someones feelings. I can only control my actions, not someone else's reactions--- Or bad day.

THIS YEAR I WILL: love well, pray specifically, let it go, kiss my husband every day, use SPF, forgive, say it aloud, think first, speak truth, invite someone, floss, travel somewhere new, affirm, smile at strangers and try something new

No comments:

Post a Comment