Thursday, March 22, 2012

Change in Perspective

This morning I had a minor mascara tragedy. And a shoe debacle. And then while walking across 42nd street toward Grand Central Station a taxi cab busted a U-Turn right in the middle of the street and came up on the sidewalk where many people are shuffling along like robots floating along one of those moving walkways like they have at huge airports.

Then, the lovely staff at the USPS were not so nice to me with all their, "you should have had this done already," "no we don't have tape but we sell tape," "step to the side please to fill out your forms...." Granted, I am usually 100% prepared and expect very little from these people, but I just needed an extra hand this morning. Literally. I needed someone who didn't talk over me or look at me like I just fell of the turnip truck.

Can't I just go back to my neighborhood, sit at Java Girl journal, read, dip a biscotti in my coffee, and move outside to sit in the sunshine when I get bored with my window seat?!

However, after reading my "Jesus Calling" devotional and being challenged to stop "planning and evaluating" and to start "trusting and thanking" I was determined to press on, smile, and count my blessings. So, when I stepped out of the office and out onto the bustling street to get some coffee a 10:30AM I gave the customer in-front of me my frequent customer stamp, since I AM about to leave the city. I'm only two stamps in and I will not be buying seven more cups of coffee this week.

She was ecstatic when I said, "She can have my stamp because I'm leaving the city next week."

"You made my day! Where are you going?" (This is always asked by strangers/ New Yorkers when they hear I'm leaving the city.) Most of them are excited and seem highly interested when I tell them where and why....)

"My husband and I are moving to upstate New York to be apprentices on a farm. We are going to live and work there while learning organic, sustainable farming. Then, after the season is over we hope to move back home to Texas." (and if the conversation lingers...) "Perhaps we will apply what we've learned on a large scale, maybe not, maybe we'll just have our own garden and do something else. Something we are passionate about."

My boots stepped out onto the pavement (and not my cute open-toed shoes or summer shoes... because they are in storage already) and I smiled, half-caf-splash-of-soy coffee in hand. I'm happy to chat with strangers. To brighten their day. To possibly make them think.

I believe that The Chambers risk, our busting out of the ordinary, our plunge into something we've always desired to do, but not really knowing if we could do it- makes people think. It causes others to consider why they stay where they are, why they don't try or move or ask or do the unthinkable. Just being interested in something is not enough, there has to be passion. Wanting to live an okay, good or average life instead of an amazing one is not right.

The Chambers are not geniuses (well, I am not!) or lucky or rich, we are just very passionate people. One a dreamer. One an overachiever. I think we each push the other toward greatness. We really compliment the other. And I'm not scared about these next eight months. If it's where God leads us, he will provide. Thus far he's kept his promise. We've been blessed beyond measure these past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment