Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NYC: Dentist Number Three

I know I shouldn't, but I take it personal when the dentist tells me I have a cavity. And receding gums. And worn tooth enamel. And should be wearing a tooth guard when I sleep.

"Do you grind your teeth?" Not that I know of. (I mean come on, when I read all the causes and symptoms I sound like a prime tooth grinder candidate.)

"Do you brush pretty hard" Yes.

"The reason you're sensitive to hot/ cold is because your tooth enamel is worn and your dentin is beginning to show." And when your tooth enamel is gone, it's gone. Bye-bye, adios. And I'm 32.

"Do you drink alot of sodas (maybe one a month- diet/ sugar free) or eat raisins or alot of dried fruit?" I do eat dried fruit, about as much as the next guy. Not even once a week. Not all the time. I think the dentist is imagining me with a bowl of skittles or apricots or gummy bears just noshing away, all day long. I am not. I do like sugar though, but I don't think I have a problem... (until my dentist brings it up) it's not a weekly habit.... But isn't this place beautiful. I got some lovely treats from here for Valentines. Oh, European/ Nordic countries, you do gummy candies so, so well!

I just have bad teeth and I feel guilty about it. I do everything a can, and blah! I don't think I've gone a year and a half without needing a sealant or filling or cavity re-filled or something. Seriously.

Luckily my insurance paid for 100% of this painful visit. I get my cavity filled on Saturday, March 17th. Joy. I was also asked if I wanted to get "fitted for a tooth guard." No thanks. I'll stop by CVS on the way home. I'm pretty sure United Health Care would not help me pay the $400 cost of such a lovely thing. I'll start with the $20 buck "one-size-fits-all" guy.

I held back tears more than once. I held my tongue. After no less than twenty painful x-rays I was about to say, "I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore. No more x-rays." That huge plastic camera being shoved in my mouth at various angles. And yes, I know I'm supposed to "bite down" but understand that, when I do, the bottom and/ or roof of my mouth is being punctured quite severely. It hurts. It feels like I'm cutting my mouth. Repeatedly, like, oh, about twenty times.

In addition to an appointment on March 17th, I left with Sensodyne toothpaste, bloody gums, and a desire to go out and immediately buy fluoride mouth wash, a mouth guard and a new toothbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment