Monday, February 24, 2014

Spring Planning


Remember May 2012 when we lived and worked on a farm?! Yeah, sometimes we miss those days. Mostly we miss the glorious free organic fruits and veggies we got to eat on, all day long. That was the hardest work I've ever done in my life. And at times lonely. And cold. And rainy. And sometimes I felt like what I was doing wasn't going to matter at all... (wait, this sounds like motherhood...)

We've been trying to decide what and how much we are going to grow in our little garden and we always think back to our farm days. That was some really good eating. Good, quality produce and worth every penny we'd sell it for at farmers market!

Today, I bought some chard and beet seeds. Along with some flower seeds.  An older gentleman at church yesterday gave us some lettuce and arugula seed along with some organic, heirloom tomato seed. The variety slips my mind now, but it sounded feminine and divine. 

I guess I should mention too, that Chris built some tables to grow on this weekend.  They look so nice and well built to me, with screen on the bottom to allow the water to drain from the soil. "What a great idea," I said. "I got it from Martha Stewart," he replied, which was not what I was expecting to hear. After googling "building a lettuce table" he got several ideas and went from there.  The table building went extremely fast with his new nail gun, table saw and air compressor. Thanks to Craigslist (and my father...) Chris is (finally) obtaining quite the tool collection. As every man should. I get it.

Just like I need certain tools and gadgets in the kitchen, he need things in order to repair, build and create. And every woman should have a sewing machine, right?? I've just got to learn how to use the one my mom gave me. First, it needs serviced- just some regular  maintenance since it has been years- and then I need some lessons. We've decided to tear down the mini blinds in the kitchen that cover the large window that looks out into the backyard and replace them with some curtains. Perhaps this can be my first project, sounds easy enough... right?!

While Chris was table building this weekend, and knocking on strangers doors to ask them if we could buy the greenhouse (that looked pretty unused for years) in their yard, I did some hedging and some trimming and some raking. (And yes, the guy with a real Texas name of J.R., told Chris he'd sell us entire thing for $100. This will be next weekends project. Tearing down a greenhouse and then rebuilding it.) I love being outside, and probably more so since it's not too hot yet and it's been awhile.

Today was a grocery store visit and I made a purchase of new panties. I know this may be TMI, but I'm still wearing my "big butt" pregnancy panties. It's been five months... This is not good. I think I was a little convicted at last weeks MOPS meeting when our topic was marriage.  It was impressed upon my heart to buy some new post baby pretty panties to cover my larger bootay. And it's sort of funny, because I aways buy new moms pretty new post baby panties. Something nice for themselves, when all those Hanes Her Way look worn and stretched and boring. And yet, here I am, in these saggy, cotton undies... Whoops.

Rain is on it's way. Cooler temperatures. Which I'm sort of happy about because the allergies around here have been horrendous. Chris' coughing and sneezing and nose blowing kept us all awake Saturday night and Camille has her first stuffy nose. Poor baby. I bought no less than $40 worth of decongestants and antihistamines for Chris yesterday at CVS in the hopes that he can breath again, and get some rest. Camille will just keep on breastfeeding as she is now working on building her own immune system. And I will eat banana bread that I just pulled out of the oven. I'm feeling quite well. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys have a few fun projects going on! I would be more than happy to help you make the curtains- you and baby can come spend a few hours over here at the house (read: circus!) and we can get all crafty :)

    ReplyDelete