Monday, June 1, 2009

When the City was Ours

There is a small window in time that New York City actually belongs to those who call it home.  I would argue that from January until about today, June 1st, New Yorkers can live in their city.  The thing with that is from January - March I, quite frankly, find the city unbearable with it's freezing temperatures and blasting winds.  And that leaves us with April & May.  

I have loved April and May.  The days are so long and I find myself waking up at 6:00 when our apartment is filled with sunlight.  I walk everywhere.  Restaurants pull out their patio furniture and sidewalk seating is once again available.  I've noticed trees that I've never seen before, now that they are all full and in bloom. And it's not too hot yet (it's still in the 50's this morning, but it's going to get up to 72).

Spring has been great.  Last night Chris and I noticed some beautiful fireworks going off somewhere along the East River (Roosevelt Island perhaps?) This was not an amateur show, theses were big colorful explosions.  I don't know the occasion, but for me it marked the end of Spring.

"Happy May 31st," I said to Chris. "Tomorrow the city becomes the tourists."

No comments:

Post a Comment