Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Lil' Brother

My little brother is bigger than me, so I'll call him my younger brother. At thirteen he is inching closer to six foot tall every day and already is the tallest person in our family. His feet are larger than dads and he can drive a standard. Although I've been told most boys raised in the country can drive a "stick" without any problem, thanks to all the training they receive with the tractor.

My brother and my mother will be in NYC tomorrow & I have no idea how to entertain a 13-year-old boy in the city. Girls are easy, but boys....!? I'm sort of at a loss, not that he needs to be entertained, honestly, this place is a freaking zoo and entertaining enough as it is.

On his last visit here, in the summer of 2008, he enjoyed FAO Schwartz & climbing in Central Park. Playing in Central Park was his favorite NYC "thing to do," naturally. But this summer, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Piano Bar, STOMP, and possibly a day trip to the beach... but I don't really know yet. Maybe more historical tours or visiting the MET...

I love showing people around New York, however draining that it may be. I get a little caught up in the planning and arranging and trying to make things work. I've even been known to outline a daily schedule of events, just to try and fit it all in. Now, I'm sort of more general in my planning, like "East Village/ Fro-yo/ Brooklyn Bridge/ Dinner in UES" -- see this is my idea of loose planning. (I'm a bit OCD like that, okay?!) I just want people to experience the things that I know they would love about NYC- those things that they don't know about. The things that make NY so great: the quirky finds & unique neighborhoods. But often I have to remind myself, what they don't know they're missing, they don't know they're missing. And they'll have a blast regardless, so why do I need to throw myself into a tailspin...? In one word: Perfectionist...

My brother is thirteen-years-old, seventeen years younger than me & 100% male. He plays the piano, can drive a motorcycle and is the king of practical joking. When I'm home he always wants to "play games" meaning domino's, card games, a board game... anything. Now our conversations revolve around what songs we have on our iPods, how to cook things properly on a gas grill & what the appropriate length of a boys hair should be.

I love my brother, just as I do my sisters however, but I feel like a faraway aunt who visits once a year and sends nice gifts. I literally lived under the same roof as the boy for about one year. My friends thought he was the sweetest baby. He got drug to My Fair Lady rehearsals and Senior banquets. He was nicknamed Fresh Baby by my pals and more times than not people assumed he was my child.

I'm excited about him visiting the big city, even if he is a country boy. Even if my dad will never step foot in Manhattan. Even if I have no idea what a teenage boy from rural East Texas would like to do in New York... Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment