Friday, July 2, 2010

Quick, Who's Hotter? (second edition)

Sisters. They're a good thing. Most of the time. Last weekend Chris loaded up his station wagon with four ladies (my sister and I and two friends of mine) and we headed to Long Beach. All in all it was a enjoyable, yet relaxing day.


Around 4:30/ 5:00 when all the beach goers were heading out, coolers being drug through the sand, plastic shovels and pails being toted toward the boardwalk it got so peaceful. Quiet even. The sun got lost behind big pillowy clouds. It was warm but not sweltering. It was breezy but not cold. All other groups around us were far enough away that I could only hear the waves lapping against the shore. There was no talking, no music, no laughter or children's screeches. Just silence.

It was the perfect end to a beach day.

Chis is officially "out for the summer!" He wrapped things up Tuesday and Wednesday and spent yesterday pampering herself after a long, tiresome and emotionally draining school year. He deserves two months off of work after dealing with what he has to deal with. I could never do it. So after a well-balanced breakfast, a chiropractor adjustment and a 90 minute massage he wrapped up his perfect day with a French Fry Dinner. What am I gonna say? I mean, it's summer. I had ice cream for lunch on Monday...

July 6th he leaves for his first road-trip of the summer and once again I'll be here and he will not. But this summer is a little different than last year, in that he'll be "stopping in" (coming home) once every week or so to "check in." (do laundry, sleep in an actual bed versus on the ground and .... well.... do what married people do.) Personally, I like the set up. And he'll enjoy the freedom that a simple, 1989 $700 car can give.

This weekend, being the 4th of July, it's crazy around here. The tourists have arrived with there children and rolling suitcases and 12lb. cameras. Not that I dislike tourists (although, perhaps I do... a little) they are just in my way, since I work right beside and commute through Grand Central every single work day. I feel really mean as I plow through their twenty person group standing in a large circle wearing matching t-shirts in the middle of Vanderbilt Ave. Move it people, sorry.... love ya, but "pull over" if you're going to re-group, take pictures, or sick your face in your map.

I did discover a wonderful, new lunch place today. I've been eating lunch in Bryant Park, but today I found a table in the sunshine at Pershing Square Plaza to enjoy my broccoli slaw, boiled egg & diced tomatoes. (hippy food...) I think I will try it again next week, but it seemed a little less crowded than the park, but maybe that is because no one is working today except for me.

I have no real plans this long weekend, except to spend Monday with Chris. It's our last day together before he leaves. Saturday I want make a visit to the Farmer's Market since it is the best day to go because all vendors are there. Running through Central Park, yoga and laying on the sundeck are all things I'd love to do tomorrow, too. And finish my Ann Lamott book, Bird by Bird.

As active as I am, I've never done yoga before. I was intrigued by a special two week promotion offered and so I'm trying to make the most of my two weeks. I truly have enjoyed the three classes I've been to so far- both physically and mentally. Just being in a quiet place that smells of lavender and being able to truly relax, focus, meditate (don't freak out on me here...) it's a special treat. It's something I'm missing out on in NYC. It's not like I can just go sit on my porch swing and look into the acres and acres of nothing like I did when I was at my parents home in Texas. Me and dad and iced tea, talking motorcycles and taxes while I peeled each petal from a bachelor button.

Ah, Summer. It feels like it was Memorial Day just yesterday... Where has the time gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment