Friday, July 16, 2010

Rock and Roller


Tonight I am going to see Dave Matthews Band in concert at Citifield. (You know, the where the Mets play? Shea Stadium? Flushing Meadow Park that place out there in Queens- last stop on the 7 train?)

I am super excited, even though I'm quite a new DMB fan. Chris has been to their concerts previously and introduced me to the wonder that is. Besides the hits Crash and So Much to Say I was sort of clueless.

Even today at work the Scotsman and the Irish lad were clueless as to who this band was. Even after I sang them a few measures hoping for an, "oh yeah, I know that song." I just got blank stares. Oh well.

Last summer the CD Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live from Radio City was the soundtrack to my summer. I purchased the album for Chris' birthday and I've enjoyed it probably even more than he has. It's good stuff. I think that they are such dynamic and authentically interesting musicians- amazingly talented- BUT (here it comes again) the words do it for me. His lyrics, although not always, are what I required from a singer/ songwriter type person. They are understandable (again, no always-- but I LOVE that raspy, always identifiable voice of his). His words are catchy and pure in a little kid kind of way that doesn't always make sense, but it totally works. And his words and music are deeply intertwined; the music written for the words and vica-versa.

It's just good stuff. Here are a few of my favorite lyrics:

SISTER
Sister, I hear you laugh
My heart fills full up
Keep me please
Sister, when you cry
I feel your tears
Running down my face
Sister, sister, keep me

Playing like we used to play
Like it would never go away
I feel you beating in my chest
I’d be dead without (sister...)

GRAVEDIGGER
Gravedigger,
when you dig my grave
could you make it shallow
so that i could feel the rain

CRASH
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock
and sweet you roll
Lost for you I'm so lost for you

EH HEE
Praise God who has many names
But the devil has many more
With the love that my mother gave me
I'm gonna drop the devil to the floor

No comments:

Post a Comment