Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Daily Summary (this may contain typos...)

Have I told you that I now work beside a friend of mine? Well I do and it has made my days tremendously more enjoyable. We can talk about church, choir, Praise Team, healthy eating (one of our favorite topics of discussion, of course), boys (well, my husband and her... dating life) and pretty much any and everything in between.

It makes my job so much more exciting, having a friend, another Christian, another artist right beside me all day long.... I know, I really have a blessed life.

We are both foodies (and I'll admit, I'm a bit of a health-snob). She doesn't eat sugar or processed foods and I try to live as close to those rules as possible. (Like the day I came back from eating my lunch in Grand Central and just couldn't wait to tell her the story about how I watched the girl across from me pour three packets of Domino's white sugar into her fruit punch. Oh. My. Stars. Guys that is more sugar than any person should have in ... I don't know three days...)

You will never see me in a fast-food joint, eating white bread or anything with 13 grams of fat per serving. I really have no hard, fast rules, I just do as I please... and try to keep the junk I eat to a minimum. Junk being Soy Crisps, Luna Bars and the occasional Frozen Yogurt. Even last night my tummy let me know- enough already. I had soy crisps in my lunch and scarfed 1/2 an apple and a Luna bar after work between choir and yoga--- getting home at almost 10:00pm--- too much with the fake food.

Sorry to bore you with my digestive tract... but, these are the things that fill my day.
...

Today my husband is driving back to the city after dropping his mother off at the airport in Boston. Sitting in traffic in a car without air conditioning can be mentally challenging. I hope that heat and car exhaust do not drive my precious husband into a state of unrest and frustration before he gets back into Manhattan... and looks for a parking spot...

I've got to tell you his "real" adventure has not begun, as his first two trips were "planned" "scheduled" and "followed an agenda." And while I get that- although I do not subscribe to the same dogmatic drive to live weeks without knowing what's next- I can't imagine living out on the road- day-to-day. Just me, my station wagon and a surfboard. But I'm seriously attracted to a man that will!

These days have seemed harder to me that last summer. I'm not sure why, because last summer I didn't have a full-time job or as much of a support system as I do now; I wasn't busy busy busy. I think I'm just realizing that my husband lives for this time away from NYC the other 10 1/2 months out of the year - and that this is when he gets to suck the marrow out of life. This is his life. Working and the day-to-day are not what fills him up; it's the unknown, the hiking, the surfing, the sleeping under the stars and eating the best crab legs he's ever tasted at some hole-in-the wall restaurant in a city with less than 1,000 people.

I don't doubt that he misses me. I don't doubt that at times, yes, he's lonely and tired and wants a warm shower. But I know he wouldn't NOT do it. I know he needs this time. It just makes me sad that I can not be with him. Not for the vacation aspect, but for the mental and physical need for resting, regrouping and rediscovering.

And my family arrived late last night... they are gallivanting around the city, soaking it all in: The High Line, S'Mac, Brooklyn Bridge, Bryant Park, shopping.... and tonight, I'll join them in our old neighborhood of Astoria for free music in the park, the Greek festival and perhaps some seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment