Friday, September 3, 2010

Just Like Christmas/ or The End of Summer Legs

It's the Friday before Labor Day Weekend. It's the unofficial end of summer. It's like working on Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, or the day before Thanksgiving.

It's a tomb. It's dead, pointless to be here & very quiet. At our offices it is the last summer Friday which means going forward we will be closing at 6:00pm on Fridays instead of 1:00pm. It has been nice.

But today is the end, the end of summer, for me anyway. No more casual Fridays, no more listening to Fleetwood Mac on Pandora, perfecting Yoga moves or prank calling from the boss's extension. And as much as I wanted to wear my flirty, knit skirt today I just couldn't risk it. Hurricane Earl is supposed to make an appearance today and getting caught in a Second Avenue wind tunnel would not be ideal, for me anyway.

Speaking of wardrobe malfunctions, does anyone else have as much trouble with lined skirts as I do? As a general rule, I do not wear my lined dress slacks in the summer. Most all of my dress slacks are lined - which makes them perfect for winter. Chris was suprised when we did the seasonal closet switch that I had grouped my dress slacks into "Winter" and "Summer." (As most New Yorkers, we don't have room for all our clothes in the closet at once.) But, the lined pencil skirt is sort of a nightmare at times. Seriously. First, I have to fight with it's constant desire to spin around my waist. This is most probelmatic when walking briskly to the subway in the mornings. By the time I get to the subway the side zipper is at my bellybutton and the split in the back has moved above my left knee.

Additionally, the silk lining sticks to my sweaty legs and starts to crawl up and this makes me think my skirt is actually creaping up, not just the lining, which makes me start tugging downward on my hemline. For about 15 blocks. It's gross. I'm glad those days are numbered.

Summers ending. Schools beginning. Leaves will be doing there leafy thing very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment