Friday, September 10, 2010

Lightweight

Last night I left the bedroom window open so Fall could creep in while I lay fast asleep- out like a small child in his mother's arms, head cocked to the side, arms dangling freely. I was recovering from the events of the night before: our office summer bash on a smallish yacht eating and drinking while floating around Manhattan.

It was worthwhile and fun and a nice way to be appreciated, although a bonus would be nice. Or a raise. Or a "Thank You" every now and again. Just yesterday I got a, "Not too bad of an effort at reading my handwriting" after typing a set of meeting minutes for one of the Senior Directors. All in fun I piped up, "That is the closest thing I'll get to a compliment from you," to which he responded, "That is a compliment." Obviously. Honestly, I do like it here and I feel I am treated fairly and respected- most of the time.

Even though I only had four glasses of wine- before 9:00pm - and the first one was a spritzer- I still ended up with someone named Debbie's credit card in my wallet. And my taxi driver (who was from the Dominican Republic) sold me a CD of himself. Singing. Spanish music. I only remembered this when Chris emailed me and asked who Miguel was and why there was a CD of his music on the bar in our kitchen.

But this morning I woke up feeling chipper as a meadow lark and actually a little happy that we are headed into Autumn. I have been saddened by the shorter days and pumpkin lattes and putting away of the flirty mini skirts. Not to mention the Christmas ornaments I saw on sale at Costco before Labor Day. But, it's time I guess. Time to move into a new season.

I'm going to miss wandering around just to wander in the sunshine. I'm going to miss berries and tomatoes and fresh seafood at the Farmers Market. I will be replacing lounging on the sundeck with standing at the bus stop in four inches of grey snow. I'll replace yoga and running in Central Park (those are my sunny activities) with weight-lifting and the boringness of elliptical machines and treadmills. Oatmeal will replace yogurt for breakfast and red toenail polish instead of pink.

Fall is my most favorite time of the year, but it seems to get bitterly cold far too quickly. I'm not going to dwell on that now, but revel in the excitement that comes with change.

No comments:

Post a Comment