Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Doing something for myself

Today, I took a couple of those things that give me knots in my neck and did something about them. There are a some things in my life- ideas, programs, relationships that begin with good intentions, but end up dragging me down none the less. So, today in an effort to BE instead of DO, I:

1. Unsubscribed from several daily email that I receive.

These stress me out, especially since I carry a smart phone and I'm constantly getting emails for this, that or the other thing. I feel guilty when I don't read what Dr. Weil has to say about flax seed. Today's topic was, "Worried about getting enough iodine?" No, but should I be? Some emails I have signed up for, Our Daily Bread, Proverbs 31 Woman, Vital Juice, Healthy Bitch, Delicious Vitality, and the list goes on.

Other emails I just get, from purchasing a ticket online, or buying a gift basket once. I've bought so many baby gifts from Amazon any time their diapers or baby wipes go on sale they send my a notification. I get emails from bookstores and from fitness organizations because I ran one of their races once. I can't handle it any more. I'm in information overload. And NOT being able to read every bit of it weighs on me. I need to know all of this, surely. I mean, I did request that this be sent to me, so at some point I must of thought this was pertinent. Some major unsubscribing was in order- and left me feeling liberated.

2. Stop avoiding conflict.

In an effort to approach the unapproachable, and let others know how I feel instead of just stewing in it, I have made the decision that when my supervisor refers to me (and my co-worker) as "you girls" or "the girls" I will let her know I does not sit well with me. Even though she could be my mother, calling me a girls makes me feel immature, inferior and as if my job does not matter. It's just a thing. I do not call the new intern (that is only 19 years old) a boy. It just doesn't sit well with me. And I need to let her know, even though I haven't said anything in the past, I think she will receive my comments well.

3. Lighten Up!

I keep a To Do List. I write things on my To Do List. I check my To Do List. So, I am trying to write it and forget it. That's it. Once it's written down it needs to remain there, on that piece of lined paper in my tiny Mead notebook and not in my head. Conditioner will get bought, I will email my doctor's office, tickets will get paid for, library books will be returned. And if I do forget it's not the end of the world. Right? So what if I have a .30 cent fine. I am not a complete and utter failure. And I don't have to decide right now where Chris and I will have lunch on Sunday with friends.

Today, in Walking With God I read this:

"I don't like the pace of my life. I don't live. I get things done." Yikes!

Slow me down. Help me believe that you know what it best for me. If I trust You, I need not fall victim to the pace of this city, or the fears and worries that gnaw at my heals. The Truth is what I choose to cling to. Joy is what I choose.

(And, don't hubby and I look like total rock stars in this picture? It will be the cover of our album: Middle Aged, Middle Class, Middle America)

No comments:

Post a Comment