Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dear Mr. Eli Zabar:

We live above your location on 91st street.  Well, really we live in the building on 92nd, but our apartment faces south, so therefore your location is directly 33 stories below us.  And thus, here en-lies the problem. 

First, let me begin by saying I love your store.  I do. I personally think that you have the BEST raisin-nut roll in all of Manhattan.  It's dark and dense.  Your raisins are juicy, not like the shriveled pieces I find in most NYC bagels. They are plump. And not too many walnuts, just the right amount. I normally hate nuts in my food. But, this, this I can handle.  I like that for 75 cents I can get a roll and be on my way.  BUT, I do have a problem.

Each night, after dinner around 8:00 or so, you start your bread making.  The scent of freshly baked bread wafts 33 stories up through my window and into my home, where I am not thinking about food anymore for the day.  I've had my chicken or tuna. I've had my glass of wine or frozen yogurt. And I am done eating. I am not even hungry.  I'm just sitting reading Ann Lamott or Joan Didion when you start up your baking.  

It's really starting to get to me.  I will admit some days it's worse than others, the scent, the madness, but overall I find it torture.  I love bread.  I love Amy's rosemary twists and Orewasher's rye and pumpernickel.  I love the scent of freshly baked bread.  I love bread so much that my sister takes pictures of her own homemade bread and emails them to me (see photo).  I like the look of bread and the feel and the color and the texture.  I would rather have bread than my favorite sour cream spice cupcakes. And that smell. It's really something. Yeasty and Intoxicating. 

I also like the smell of funnel cakes and barbecue and whatever it is that is wafting out of Glaser's Bakery every single time I walk by there. BUT that doesn't mean I want it floating about my home each and every night.  

Mr. Eli.  Why do you do this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment