Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baby Birds

I was thinking more about those birds today, and I realized that I did not tell you all the commentary that surrounded these little feathery fellows.

Their nest was perched in the corner of the back porch at my friends home in Texas. The parent birdies had no problem whatsoever dive-bombing us as when we stepped out onto the patio. However, Heidi, the cocker spaniel, was not nearly as brave and refused to go outside alone- although, she's always sort of been high maintenance like that- having to be carried into the grass to tee-tee, lest she pee on the concrete. And she will.

Anyway, as we watched the mama and daddy birds feed the babies we became concerned- how do they know, in their tiny bird brains, know which bird they just fed and which bird that the other parent just fed? It was a bit disheartening to see the same three middle birdies "get the worm." Our conclusion was that the two fellows on the "end" closest to the wall were quite weaker and might need extra days in the nest in order to grow.

And many, many times we were convinced the little birds were about to spread their wings and propel themselves out of that nest- only seven feet from the concrete. They looked so big in there and ready to leave. But they remained. Why leave? There's comfort, someone bringing food- multiple times a day. There were several feedings- I mean three meals and two snacks for sure! The nest provided protection and company as well.

We worried that the seven foot drop may not provide enough space for get-up-and-go sort of speed, but I was sure they'd "figure it out" on the way down. At least that is what I kept telling my friends. Then there was the rumor that there used to be seven babies, but now, there were only six. One died and fell behind the nest, but we'd only be sure when the nest was removed. We also discussed how entertaining it would be to turn the ceiling fan on while the mother bird perched on one of the fan blades giving instruction and direction, while tilting her head left- then right. The chirpy language of "Fly, fly, fly!"

They just looked way too old to be baby birdies in a nest. They were like bird teenagers just buying time until they were forced to join the "real world." So many great parallels with this bird thing! We were intrigued, obviously. I felt like my Memaw who would always remark on the birds in her yard and window and hang feeders and put up bird houses. I just thought she was a easily entertained, and perhaps a little bored, old woman. Now, I am she.

I am the person who, when asking Tessa's mother if Tessa had a copy of Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny insisted, "We must go to Barnes and Noble TODAY and buy them" when she responded, "No." I am the person who thinks every gal should have a bud vase, a good face cleanser, and a massage at least once every three months.

I am the person who bought diapers and diaper wipes today on my lunch break to add to baby gift. Then, I realized I would have to carry them home with me. God forbid anyone thinks they're for me. I don't have a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment