Thursday, June 17, 2010

I guess my feet know where they want me to go

... walking down a country road.

Last night was an amazingly beautiful night- The Troubadour Reunion Tour with Carole King and James Taylor. I loved every moment, even though 90% of the people in attendance were older than my own parents. Even though I had no idea what the Troubadour was before this concert & even though none of the songs I sang along to, loudly, were written in my lifetime- I LOVED IT.

In all honesty, I didn't expect such an older audience. I don't know why, I just thought it might be something more like 50/50. This was not the case. Besides a few high school aged looking kids, who were with their parents, I literally saw a handful of people in their 20's/ 30's. I expected it in Texas, when I saw Steely Dan and Crosby, Stills & Nash--- but this, this is Carole King & James Taylor! ("Who?"- which was the all too often response I got when telling people about my Wednesday night plans. Come On!)

So, I realize now, more than ever that I am the product of this era of music, even though I was not around in 1970. I swear my mom listened to Carole King while I was in the womb. Because she was influenced by these musicians I am influenced by these musicians. Perhaps I am just my mother's daughter & not everyone will get/ love/ appreciate/ become teary eyed listening to these singer/ songwriters do what they do so wonderfully.

Because for me, it's all about the words, which is why you can put a guy and a gal in their sixties on a rotating stage with a simple acoustic guitar and a grand piano & I will be in awe. They still have it. I was starstruck for the first time in my entire life. I was thinking, "This is it. These artists have it- they are operating on some higher plane with deeper roots and have effected, not only me, but a generation. Generations. These two people ROCK!"

I think it's the singing about family & country roots & traveling & unrequited love. ((sigh))

From Jazz Man and Way Over Yonder, to Sweet Baby James and Copperline I was enthralled. For encore they sang Up on the Roof (which she wrote about NYC) & You've Got a Friend. THEN.... when the audience cheered and raged and begged for one more, they snuggled up closely on their stools, James with his guitar & Carole with that look in her eye, and sang You Can Close Your Eyes. And I cried. This song is a lullaby to me, a comfort, a warm lap to crawl into; and I could hear my mom singing it. As I could so many of the songs.

I guess that's what the concert was for me- a realization that I was raised to love music. To sing. To listen to words. My mom sang over me, with me, and taught me to love music and dancing and that it's okay to outwardly express the emotions welling up inside- be it through dancing, painting, writing or playing the piano. I was able to look back on my childhood to where I am today and see how these lyrics and tunes have always been there.

Ahhh, there's just something about being able to wallow in the goodness of such great artists as an artist. I think they are in me somehow, and have been from the beginning.

I know Chris truly had a wonderful night, although this was more my thing than his thing. But he is more of a vagabond than I am, more of a dreamer and a sunset chaser. He's willing to live out of a 1989 Volvo station-wagon for days at a time. I'm just the eclectic one, the one who's had poetry poured into her since before I ever knew it.

WHERE YOU LEAD - Carole King
Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead

I always wanted a real home with flowers on the window sill
But if you want to live in New York City, honey, you know I will (yes i will, yes i will)

I never thought I could get satisfaction from just one man
But if anyone can keep me happy, you're the one who can

No comments:

Post a Comment