Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blasted Silence












Fireworks?
Thunder?
Just across the Hudson River, what I hear but can not see is artillery.
Guns
Weapons
that ring out
echoing throughout these hills.

And I'm sitting at a monastery
with echinacea and marigolds
with saints and chipmunks and real monks

Odd.

The lilies surround me
orange
yellow
Queen Anne's lace
Big bushes of day lilies
reaching toward the sun
Serene
Calm
Quiet
Birds Chirp
Candles flicker at the Shrine of Saint Anthony

And across the river our nations most prestigious military training facility lies
awake with fiery defense

Defend
Protect
Stay Alert
Be Brave, Be Ready, Be the best you can.
(in complete opposition to my purpose this weekend)

I imagine the 19, 20, 21-year-old boys over there now
Somewhere in those trees
Shooting weaponry
Running, rolling, focusing

Oh, God reconcile us
to you, to each other
For your names sake

West Point
Graymoor
Worlds apart across the river

No comments:

Post a Comment