Monday, July 11, 2011

Don't change your hair for me

...not if you care for me.

I've liked the song My Funny Valentine since I was in middle school. The way I remember it I was introduced to the song by my choir instructor... but that could be all wrong. I had this thing for jazz music during the 7th and 8th grade and bought cassette tapes of Manhattan Transfer.

Today I heard the song again while sitting in Bryant Park. Each weekday afternoon from 12:00 - 2:00 there is a different pianist who plays the lima-bean green piano that has a huge umbrella mounted on one side.

That line, about the hair, makes me think of Chris- and his massive curls. I miss him. I miss his curls even though they clog up our shower drain. So, I was sitting in Bryant Park eating my Amy's Spinach Pocket. (*note* I don't buy many pre-packaged foods; frozen fruits/ veggies and the occasional Soy Crisps is about it, BUT, these spinach pockets are so freaking delicious. I'm not kidding. If it sounds appealing whatsoever to you, give it a try. The spinach, the soft doughy wrap- it's something I couldn't make at home. The flavor reminds me of my childhood.)

While noshing and listening I decided to check Jamie's Facebook page for updates on the Rwanda trip. (Chris is in Rwanda, Jamie is the team leader and she's been posting updates mostly everyday- with pictures as well and they make me so happy.)

Among today's images was a picture of Chris surrounded by about 10-15 Rwandan children. They are in his lap, seated around him, leaning on his strong shoulders and smiling from ear to ear. The caption under the picture explains how Chris carved the steps they are seated on out of the hard clay. And I cried. I can't wait to hear his stories.
...

While Chris's hair isn't clogging up our drain, mine is shedding like crazy! I guess it's just the summer, but really I feel like I could make a wig out of what I swept up this weekend alone. Today I actually tried a new beauty product: waterless shampoo. I was skeptical, and quite frankly haven't previously seen the need, I just wash my hair every day. I know, I know, some people don't need to--- they are fine with every other day, or even every three days, but not this greasy head. I have to wash my hair every day or you would be able to fry french fries in the amount of grease you could wring out of my hair.

So, per my beauty editor friend and my friend who could be a beauty editor, I'm giving it a try today. So far, so good. I also hear you shouldn't wash your hair every day. So they say... Is this true? Who knows. For now, waterless shampoo will give me a few more minutes of sleep and more importantly I don't have to fire up that blow-drier or worse, walk to the bus with wet hair that steams on my neck in this awful humidity.
....
In other beauty news, my mascara was discontinued. How does this happen? Like over night it's all gone from every shelf in every drugstore in Manhattan. Loreal waterproof lash-out in black can not be found anywhere. I'm well aware that even if I found one, I'd have to find a replacement sooner or later. I hate trying new mascara. You know immediately if you like it or not, and if not, well, that was a waste of $6, $12, $22 dollars!!!

I've been told that Lancome is good. Yves Saint Laurnet. Cover Girl lash blast has gotten rave reviews from many friends. And Mary Kay has a brand new mascara Love Lash.... Oh, the options are endless. The main deciding factor is that I'm on a budget and will not be dropping $30 for mascara any time soon. I am actually giving the Mary Kay Lash Love a try today, and I've got to say, even in this 91 degrees weather, that keeps my face a little damp and supple as I pound these sidewalks- it is holding up pretty well, even though it's not waterproof.
...

I feel materialistic, stuck in this consumer driven hole- Manhattan. Mascara. This is my complaint today. And contemplating washing my hair or not. While Chris is in Rwanda digging wells for entire communities who need clean water, building homes and making stairs.
God forgive us. Help us get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment