Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Making a Happy Home

Since moving only a couple weeks ago, I'm finally getting around to uploading my pictures from my camera to our computer. The title of the image folder on our Mac is "Most of June," because that is what it is. There are pictures from our Lake Placid trip, a baby shower, a rooftop party and my sister's visit to NYC. I will show some of them to you soon, I promise. In the mean time- this is what you get. Words- sprinkled with a few camera phone images every now and then.
...

I will tell you now about our new apartment- being totally objective, as I'm still trying to figure out how everything will fit, where it will all go and how it one one day feel like home, although during the in-between I often wonder.... Especially since when Chris returns I'll have spent majority of my nights there alone.

It's a loft apartment with 18 foot ceilings and a huge window wall that looks out over 62nd Street. It's different having windows on the 3rd floor (vs. the 32nd) because I can actually look out across the street and wave at the people on the patios across the way (if I was so inclined). It's really put a damper on the "walk around the house in whatever you want." I don't want to keep the shades drawn all the time, but it's just weird thinking that someone could be looking right in on you as you watch old episodes of Thirtysomething, or pour a glass of milk at 11:00 at night. Ick! There are a couple good sized trees that partially block a direct view into our place, but still...

Our kitchen is a New York Kitchenette that is really just an extension of our living area; complete with refrigerator (a New York sized one- no ice maker, shelves too small for pizza boxes or bottles of wine), stove, sink and dishwasher. While the dishwasher is an exciting feature, I'd rather have an electrical outlet. Or more counter space. While I was cooking up some mushrooms and spinach for an omelet last night, I realized that there is no vent- so I prayed I wouldn't set off the smoke detector. And there is no microwave oven, which is why I purchased a tea pot. It's going to take some getting used to.

Our bed is in a loft that looks out over the living room. At the top of the stairs there are plenty of shelves built in for shoes (Stefani) and toolboxes (Chris) and clothes that fold well. For what it is, the owners have really maximized the storage space capabilities and furnished the space well. (It's in a co-op building.) We also have a ceiling fan and track lighting- very rare finds in NYC.

The bathroom has a wonderful sized mirror and three drawers (again a first for us in an NYC apartment.) Most apartments have no more than a pedestal sink and a shower- and not room for much else. Under the staircase we also have A closet. Well, I have A closet....

I'm trying to accept the idea of eating out more. Or buying fewer groceries, since there is less space. I'm warming up to the idea of sending out our laundry - since we no longer have a washer and drier. (Although, I think I'll continue to do my own undergarments and things I'm particular about... which really only leaves towels!!)

It's more than four walls that make a house a home, and I know we are living exactly where we are supposed to be. I can mail some more Christmas decor back to Texas--- and get rid of some things--- I refuse to pay for storage. However, if I bump my head one more time in that loft... I think I'll loose it.

I'm 31 years old, and it's still hard letting go of my dreams for where I thought I'd be at this point in my life: a garden, a patio, owning four plates and bowls that match, or a vacuum cleaner, or one of those really nice Kitchenaid mixers in pink.... But I know this road, full of adventure and uncertainty, is real life. It's what we're called to- Chris and I. And above all else, we are so so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment