Monday, October 10, 2011

Into the woods

For our annual fall anniversary get away (Five Year Anniversary) this year we stayed in Boston. While Chris has spent some days in and around Boston, I have only driven through a couple of times. And while we did sleep only a couple of blocks from Boston University and were in Boston each day- this really wasn't a Boston trip either.

Some really dear friends of ours that previously lived in NY now live in Boston and it just so happened that they were away for the week in sunny Florida. So, they got us a set of keys to their apartment, secured us a parking spot, and sent directions on how to close the widows (among other quirks of their place) and the rest was history!

We rented a car and left Wednesday evening, getting to Boston pretty late. We had no real plans or places that we just had to see, but longed to be out of New York. It was nice to simply lay in bed, at 7:00, 8:00, even 9:00AM and not be able to hear a thing. Nothing. No sirens, no car stereos, no one squabbling on the sidewalk, no people laughing or car alarms going off. It was so quiet. Even in the middle of Boston.

During our days we drove along the cost, stopping to take pictures, grab some local fare, or wander through a city park. We thought about stopping in Salem, but it was too much of a tourist attraction. I might be interested at some point, but I didn't really want to spend an entire day in Salem- waiting in line with everyone else and paying for just about everything. I'm looking for free forms of entertainment!

I've never been much for road trips, but I guess living somewhere where I never experience the road makes it quite nice to get out and hit the open road, even if I do have to sit in a car for a few hours each day. On the drive up to Boston we listened to the David Crowder Band Christmas album that just came out. (And I hate to announce here: The DCB are splitting up!) Because I can't let food go to waste, that night we snacked on turkey luncheon meat wrapped in corn tortillas & roasted Brussels sprouts from the night before. (Don't tell me I'm not frugal. However, eating Brussels sprouts in the car may not be the best idea ever.)

We even cooked a couple of meals in our friends full-sized real life kitchen! I just couldn't resist.

I liked just going; seeing new places from my passengers seat in the Mazda 2. Sitting in the sunshine. We rented a tiny car (because it was the cheapest option) and continuously laughed about how ridiculous we must look. Drinking convenient store coffee and eating Chex mix - this is acceptable road-trip behavior. This, and eating ice cream as a meal!

Our weekend made me truly happy, perhaps the happiest I've been in quite awhile. Maybe it's because I was lenient on myself; not subconsciously imposing a set of rules or list of things to get done. Chris and I dreamed and were honest and had excellent conversation. I love my husband- and we have a blast together. I can not imaging being with someone just for the convenience of it, or because I felt like I could just "make it work." My husband challenges me and asks the hard questions. He thinks I'm pretty great too- which isn't to say, "I'm so great" but I know he adores me.

This back to school "fall time" has been really hard for me. I feel pulled and pushed and squashed in one million different directions. It's partly because I am, and partly because I need to say "No" some, and partly because I need to be renewed, suck it up and realize that some things take work.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on what really matters, to me, to eternity. What gives me joy? Because doing things out of obligation is not where it is found.

No comments:

Post a Comment