Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Smarty Pants

Well, I hope she doesn't mind, because I'm just going to announce it right here, on my blog: I have a friend who is going to be on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? this coming Monday, October 18th. Quite frankly I think it is an amazing accomplishment in itself. I mean, the testing and auditioning that she's had to go through already --- then to make it to the show itself, well I'm pretty sure that I just don't have the brains for that sort of competition.

She is a whiz at geography and historical facts, as well as pop culture. I can't even do the daily crossword puzzle. And I'm talking about the one in the free NYC Metro, not in the Times or some real paper. She taught in China, has traveled the various countries, worked in many fields and is just all around smart. She's from North Carolina and has the biggest, most soulful gospel voice I've ever heard. She sings from her gut, somewhere deep within that springs from a sincerely love of Christ. She's got it when it comes to the 'sanging.'

America is going to love her, I don't doubt that one bit. She's gorgeous, well spoken and very witty. Honestly, she's one of the funniest people I know. This is partly because she's country, so we can relate on many levels, and also because she's an actress. It's just in her bones.

My favorite impersonation that she does is Vestal Goodman singing .... "I'm gonna take a trip, on the good ol' gospel ship...." You sort of have to know old Southern Gospel music to appreciate our mimicking, not that I actually remember Vestal... but I'm familiar enough. And she's one of the few people I know that remembers watching this show on Sunday morning before church.

When she emailed me that she "got the call" I just about squealed with excitement. And I'm pretty sure I did announce it to anyone that happened to be walking through the reception area at that moment.

I'm so proud of Shirley, just for taking the chance, and for being brave enough to do this thing. She's been studying Trivial pursuit game cards and reading any and every magazine and newspaper she can get her hands on, I'm sure. I got smart friends, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment