Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just my type

Sometimes I do irrational things. Like spend $9.00 on a manicure (The Thrill of Brazil) instead of using that money for something more responsible. Like groceries or laundry or the earbuds I need to buy to replace the ones that are currently falling apart. Every time I go to the gym I am in fear of getting shocked because the earbud itself is popping apart. Nothing like a jolt of energy hitting you inside your ear. But Chris tells me this can't happen and that the problem could be remedied with a little superglue and I trust that.

Which is why I guess I felt I needed a manicure over new "gym" earbuds. I'm going to glue my earbuds back together... I am working with a strict budget each month- and it's really kept the spending harnessed. Like- I don't do any spending. Groceries, toiletries, laundry, prescriptions... that's about it. Oh, and $9.00 manicures evidently. At least there are only two more days until I get my next two weeks allotted monies. I will be spending the dollars left in my account today at the grocery store to make some Mexican inspired bean salad.

I'm going to a worship executive meeting tomorrow night on Roosevelt Island and wanted to make something that would compliment chili. I think this salad is going to look alot like the salad I made for last months meeting. But this time it will not have black eyed peas, but more beans, and lime and tabasco sauce.

I miss cooking as much as I did in our last apartment. I just get upset and a little beat down working with minimal counter space, a mini fridge and no outlet in the (half)kitchen. So, to maintain sanity and feel better overall, I've purposefully limiting my cooking to when I have ample time (multitasking like I'm used to in the kitchen is not really an option) or to when I have a specific dish I'm preparing. "Throwing" a quick dinner together is not really all that easy. But I'm sure Chris would tell you that I'm holding my own.

While this week has been filled with wonderful moments & realizations- each day has drug by. It has threatened of rain all week- but hardly rained. The wind wails at night and makes it look much colder than it really is. I hate days when I wear my rainboots in preparation for a rain that never comes. Rainboots in general are clumsy and heavy and my feet can't breathe. Luckily, I've been the wiser one this week because I haven't worn them. Just carry an umbrella that has yet to be opened.

This week I've been reminded that my life has a special purpose and plan. It's not all haphazard and arbitrary. There is a sequence and season and reason. I'm wired to be a writer and a foodie and detail oriented. And it's okay that I have preferences and dislikes and wants for my life. It's okay that I'm still uncertain of what I want to be when I grow up. And it's okay- and necessary- that I still have dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment