Friday, May 3, 2013

Chit-Chat

If we were chatting over coffee today (Ok, no coffee for me. I haven't drank a cup of coffee in over three months.) these are some things I might tell you about. Today. You know, it's what's on my mind, today.

Wednesday afternoon it was too warm for me to go walking. The temperature hovered around 82, but it felt more like 88 and the humidity is already unbearable to me. Yesterday, it was too cold for me to go walking. And windy. And rainy. What gives around here? I believe more and more there are really very few days that are perfect outside days here in East Texas. Another oddity, I think, is that people here wear Uggs. Why do people here even own Uggs? I lived in the Northeast for six years and survived without them. Today's high, of 62, is not exactly Ugg weather, nor do I find it that cold... but the wind screeching by at 20mph will keep me indoors.

Another thing, that I think is completely underrated, like Whitney Houston's album, "My Love is Your Love" are hot grapenuts. I grew up eating hot grapenuts and introduced them to my husband when we were on the farm. It's pretty much all he eats for breakfast now. I will tell you how to make them perfect.
1. On top of the cereal in the bowl, pour just enough milk to cover the grapenuts (This is the part I do well. If you put too much milk, then it doesn't all absorb.)
2. Heat in the microwave for one minute. Take out and stir. It may need a little more time, depending on how much grapenuts you are preparing.
3. Then when it's nice an hot and ready to eat, add some butter and a little honey. Delicious! Completely underrated.

Yesterday was an eventful day in our home. One where Chris did not get to eat his grapenuts for breakfast. He had an interview in Tyler for an Assistant Principal position at 9:00am. Baby Bella (our 6 mo. old puppy) was headed to her big surgery at 8:00am. And, "the guys" were headed to our house to investigate the hot water heater leak we've had since Sunday.

Bella did fine, although she vomited after her eight mile car ride home yesterday afternoon and didn't budge all night long. Poor girl. She just stayed curled up on her mat next to our drier. This morning I treated her with some goose liver pate (spoiled dog) only because it's going bad. And only because Chris won't eat it. Her tail wags now and she moved to the couch, but the leaping and bounding has ceased for a few days I'm sure.

The hot water heater was completely replaced. Which was an all day affair from what I understand. Chris ended up helping out with the process when he got back home. I won't get into the details here about the joys of living in the parsonage (and yes, there really are some) but I'm telling you, if it's not one thing around that house, it's another. Dishwasher, water lines, washer/ dryer connections.

...

I haven't talked about it a lot here, but Chris is job searching. It's character building. It's faith in action. It's living out what you say you believe. Some days are harder than others. Yesterday's interview went well (one hour and forty-five minutes) and we continue to pray that God will provide the perfect position for him.

We have to assume that He hasn't forgotten our needs. His promises remain.

"Keep in mind that the LORD your God is the only God. He is a faithful God, who keeps his promise and is merciful to thousands of generations of those who love him and obey his commands." Deuteronomy 7:9 (GWT)
 
This weekend:
Waffle Breakfast at the First Methodist Church to benefit the Family Peace Project
Farmer Market (the first one of the season, kicking off the weekly markets through summer)
Visit the Cedar Creek Brewery. Not for tastings, but because I'm doing a story on the location for June's edition of Fly the Flag.
I had planned on going to First Monday.... but I'm thinking that it may not fit in this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment