Friday, May 24, 2013

Holiday Weekend

Memorial Day weekend. No plans. On Facebook I read about everyone else's plans: that's depressing. In NYC many folks head out of town early Friday and return late Monday night, which leaves the city to us less fortunate folks. It's a quiet weekend- parks are less crowded and the weather is finally warm. It's really the calm before the storm thought: summer tourist arrive June 1st and take over.

Here, in Texas, it's all lakes and boating and water skiing and pools opening for the season. I'm not really a laker or a boater or a "let me get in my swimsuit and layout by the pool all day" sort of person. So summer pretty much sucks. Oh, that's right it's summer eight months out of the year here.

We have no real weekend plans, and let's be honest, since Chris' full-time job right now is job searching, every day feels like the weekend. I get it, I've lived it. We will spend time with family, his and mine. Possibly visit friends in Tyler. Maybe go to brunch. Trip to the farmers market? Softball playoff game?

I bought some more books on Amazon: Hypnobirthing and A Mother's Heart. Seriously, all I do is read. Although, last night after reading, and playing fetch with Bella, and making some really good guacamole and a Mexican inspired bean salad, I made a pallet on the floor and watched one of those great Instant Netflix movies: Margin Call. Actually it wasn't so bad. And it was nice to get out of our How I Met Your Mother and Rules of Engagement rut. Although, we like those shows.... Of course there's always Cheers, Frazier and my new favorite, Call the Midwife. I did get into Ally McBeal one summer in NYC when Chris was gone for weeks. It was sort of weird watching something that came out when I was in high school, but I didn't know it existed then.

Hopefully, it won't be so hot that I'll be stuck indoors reading and watching TV all Memorial Day weekend. Summers in unofficially here, let the dog days begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment