Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Friends Like That


Monday night Chris and I had dinner in Tyler at the Stockhammer house, some of our dearest and oldest friends. Even on the drive from Athens, I looked forward to the laughter and stories we'd share, just in the few hours we'd have together. I've been in need of a laugh or two.

It had been over a month since the four of us had been together, and that can be a really long time when you like people as much as we like the Stockhammers. In the years we've known each other so much life has been lived. Like the time the four of us lived out of my Nissan for a month and traveled from Montana to Utah to Yellowstone. I think we were all sick of Subway and each other (a little) after that. But the next week Chris and I left for NYC, so I think we all just forgot about it and remembered the good times.

We lived in New York City for five years.
The Stockhammers moved to Austria for one.
Then they had a baby.
And we lived on an organic vegetable farm.
And they had another baby.
We are expecting our first now (due the same week as their last little girl, exactly a year apart)
AND the week we found out I was pregnant
They bought their own restaurant.

I'll never forget on our wedding day when I saw Christoph for the first time, looking all dapper in his tuxedo, not in his usual chefwear. I said, "You look nice." He says, "Not as nice as you...."

Over some delicious turkey burgers topped with avocado and provolone we talked about the new restaurant, Chris's job search and the best way to move an upright freezer. Portobello's, zucchini, and tomatoes right off the grill steamed on my plate. It was a simple dinner, but filled up my belly and my spirit.

Seven month-old Micha noshed on avocado and Tessa and I gobbled up every last piece of watermelon. (I've really had this thing for fruit lately, yum!)

After dinner and loading the dishwasher the men moved a big screen TV into the bed of Chris's truck and a freezer in the Christoph's garage. The ladies took the hot pink Hot Wheels out for a spin around the block. Well, one of us did. I pushed Micha, wearing her big floppy hat, in her stroller behind the toddler and Lora and I talked more about our week. And I hate to even admit here that yes, indeed we did talk about nursing bras, Moby wraps, and strollers.

It's good to have friends like that. We can always pick up where we left off.
We can be ourselves- our tired, worn out, frustrated, not-so-perfect selves.

Lora gave me this necklace on my birthday, it is called Anticipation
I absolutely love it and wear it every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment