Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cavities & Ugliness

Today I got my filling. At this point in my life, as much as I hate the dentist and cross my fingers each time I go in for that six month check-up- I am pretty brave about the entire process. I know how it goes and what to expect. Before I had four teeth pulled on Valentines Day 1998 (yes, it was that dramatic!) I despised the dentist. And not just mine, but the entire profession of dentist. Dentistry as a practice. But after having four wisdom teeth pulled out by the root, without being completely knocked out- without an IV- just drugged really, really well I got over it. Not that I remember any of it- but I was somewhat coherent throughout the entire process. The way I figure it, it can't get worse than that. Unless you have a dentist who doesn't have a clue, and I hope that is never the case.

In New York City, however all doctors offices I've been in seem, below par. Outdated. A little dirty and a lot cramped. It's odd because it's freaking New York City, but seriously, these doctors offices leave me longing for the huge brick pediatric facilities of my childhood. The dentist offices with waiting rooms, the gynecologists with sitting areas and plasma televisions, the cleanliness and tidiness and professionalism of every doctor I've visited until I moved here.

There was the endocrinologist who didn't have a nurse or an assistant and drew my blood himself- taking vile after vile. This was after he gave me a hearing test on a machine that I'm pretty sure was the same make and model they used to give hearing tests at South Athens Elementary School in 1988. His father was in practice with him, was not younger than 80 and wore one of these. Weird? Scary? I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. For my second visit, I made Chris go with me, just so he could observe the mayhem.

And my dentist. He's just so impersonal and cold. And he too, has no assistant. The dental hygienist does the cleanings, yes, but he does everything else on his own. I just find this so odd. Today, while he was doing my filling the receptionist came in and was asking him billing questions regarding another patient. All the while, I'm thinking, "Can this wait? We are in the middle of something that I don't want messed up."

It's all just weird. And a little less professionalism than I'd particularly like. But, it bothers me less and less.

Today when I took a seat in the big threatening dentists chair, waiting for the doctor, I noticed the new monitors that had been installed. There had been such a computer in the other room I had been in earlier in the month when I had my regular cleaning. They show instant digital images of teeth and, I assume, make client records readily accessible. Nothing like seeing my big cavity filled, sealant covered, capped teeth at 500 times their size. Ahhhhhhhh!

When I was taken into the room and left to wait there was a patient list right there on the huge, new screen for my viewing pleasure. In this excel spreadsheet-like database I could clearly see 15-20 patients names. And addresses. And phone numbers. A second phone number (if they couldn't be reached at the first). And their social security numbers. WHAT?

Oh, New York City. Oh, patient confidentiality. Oh, privacy.
I guess I'll live without it. (And say a prayer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment