Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summering

In the summer I tend to loose a little height. Wearing flip-flops to and from or ballet flats- I'm operating on a different plane of existence here. No, but I do feel a little shorter in the summer letting my toes out and all.

Sometimes I want to share tid bits of this and that and goings on in my life on this blog. And other times I want to share more devotional, introspective, slice of life sort of stories. Today... since I spent my lunch hour in Bryant Park journaling and writing a prayer to God, I'll be sort of light and all over the place... so, heads-up.

Today, I received flowers from my husband for no reason at all. I was surprise and I cried when I read the note attached, "Because you are what every husband wants in a wife... and so much more. I love you. -Christopher-" and it was completely unexpected. I decided to set them on the ledge of the reception desk, instead of hiding them and not letting others gaze upon them as well. My co-worker/ receptionist friend finds it necessary to tell everyone who declares, "Nice flowers" or "Oh, how lovely" that, "Stefani's husband sent them, for no reason at all." They are really nice though, sunflowers, huge roses the color of a Caribbean sunset, button mums, some big pink thing with an amazing stem & dark dark purple calla lilies.

This past weekend Chris was home from his summer journey's but will leave again tomorrow. Friday when I got off work at 5:00 he was at the apartment waiting on me and we stayed in. I made a pork loin, which we both agreed was possibly the best pork I've made thus far, with steamed broccoli, and garlic toast. I also made whole wheat pasta with black olives, mushrooms, onions, spinach and Parmesan cheese. The pasta was great- and honestly I'm not a pasta fanatic like most people are but this pasta was intense. Not only did I have to boil and prepare the pasta, BUT I had to caramelize the onions- which I'm currently working on perfecting. I sauteed the mushrooms in garlic and wilted the spinach leaves. Whew! It was worth it though.

I realized while cooking that I haven't cooked since Chris left. I would do a load of dishes once a week- maybe. Was I eating out, no? Absurd! I just don't dirty alot of dishes. And I eat alot of salads, tuna, pre-cooked soy chicken stuff, Boca meat crumbles (is your mouth watering yet...?) and yogurt. Anyway, the pork loin was the first real meat I'd eaten in forever. And just because I was on a roll, I ate a real live 100% beef burger on Saturday!

After running down Park Ave. with my sister Saturday morning, I watched her cross the Brooklyn Bridge. Seriously, after running from 92nd Street all the way to the end of Manhattan I was ready to hop on the train going back uptown, my legs were not up for running up the Brooklyn Bridge incline. Back home, all they way back home, all 15 local stops and 30 minutes later, I was back in the Upper East Side where Chris and I met two of my peeps at our new neighborhood Shake Shack. I've never been to this well known establishment, and I have to say I enjoyed my beefy burger, even if I did pick at it, eat it without cheese and throw away the bun.
That evening Chris and I went to a little barbecue type thing in Astoria. (I say this because New Yorkers call grilling barbecuing but just for the record no barbecue was served.) Saturday evening was cool and breezy and the humidify seemed to subside, even if just for the night. Our friends home was so nice and real cozy feeling- since they own their own house with a real backyard- unlike most of us who live in boxes in the sky.

The backyard was quite the bungalow- with ivy and plants and flowers and grapevines. It was like being on an exotic island- not that Manhattan isn't an exotic island, but it felt like escaping- even if it really wasn't. Backyards can have that effect in a city so big. Just some space- just some outdoor space to dig in the dirt and step in the grass and fall asleep under the stars. Their backyard was a bit over the top, but I loved it. It was big and alive and familial- even if there was a small child lost in the massive rose bush.

Chris and I had a great time eating things off the grill (Chris- hot dogs, hamburgers, Stef- Eggplant, Corn...) drinking ice cold beverages and laughing with our amazing friends. As I scooped a bite of saurkraut covered in spicy mustard my friend said, "That looks good. Most people eat that on a hot dog you know?" I'm wierd. I also finished the last of the wine straight from the wine bottle- at this same party. There were photos taken, I'm not denying it. I'm a class act!

So, all was going well, until there was a loud crash which was immediately followed by 30 adults screeching to the longest five-second silence I have ever experienced. It felt like an eternity to me because upon hearing the terrible breaking-banging I gazed over the tops of heads, looking frantically across the party goers for one 6'5" curly haired man and he was nowhere to be seen. My hands went to my face, my palms against my cheeks- I hoped it wasn't, but I already knew it was... "Yeah, it was Chris," someone said to me.

Moments later he finally declares, "I'm okay. I didn't spill any beer."

I knew he was alive. But I was still afraid he might have two broken legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment