Thursday, August 12, 2010

Moving On

To conclude yesterday's story: No, Chris was not dead, and no limbs were broken and we didn't even have to make a trip to the emergency room! However, after falling through some rotting wood covering a Chris-sized hole in our friend's patio he had a massive scrape on his shin and some scratches on his side.

Our nurse friend- who we were celebrating (eloped!)- got him cleaned up, iced and elevated. He basked in the attention and I commented on how he loved being doted over. As if coming home from a surfing trip with stories to tell everyone weren't enough. He wasn't as badly wounded as I anticipated. The fall sounded much worse than it really was. I had imagined that he fell down the stairs, knocked himself out- I really didn't think that he could have possibly fallen through the floor.

We all commended him on taking one for the team and falling through the rotting wood. If I would have fallen through, I'm pretty sure I would have died. Or broken both ankles. Everyone encouraged him to get a Tetanus shot Monday morning, but being a man, he put it off until Tuesday. (Even after the encouragement from our wonderful nurse friend- who he seemed to listen to more than me- he put off seeing the doctor. Of course, I'm all "Walk it off" "You'll be fine" and "I think you've iced long enough." Perhaps empathy is not my spiritual gift.)

Tuesday he went to get a Tetanus shot, which is a pretty painful shot. After the doctor administered the shot and Chris responds, "That was pretty painless" the doctor says, "Whoops, that was the wrong vaccine, let me see your other arm." Seriously. Chris got a shot of Tuberculosis in one arm and Tetanus in the other. No lie. After being fearful that he might possibly die for the first 5-10 minutes he called me. I freaked out. He called my sister (who is a pharmacist) and she warned him of possible anaphylaxis but "that usually happens within minutes." Well thank God, because it had been 30 minutes and his esophagus hadn't closed up yet. What a quack. What a irresponsible physician, however this has been my experience with many doctors in the city. Just completely bizarre situations. Twilight Zone-esk. I once drug Chris with me to the endocrinologist so he could wittiness the freak show for himself.

Chris is fine. I would have started hyperventilating and gone into panic mode. I am so terrible in panic situations. Seriously, it is quite the ongoing joke in our home. I run, litterally, from tragety. When Chris fell, and everyone was going toward the injured party to help, I was just standing still with my hands covering my eyes. This happens often. I just can't bare seeing someone in so much pain. I can pray for you and call 911, but that is about all I can offer.

This is what makes me nervous about mothering. How could I ever do it? I guess when you have to do it, you just do, but I imagining it being difficult nonetheless. It's not the blood or tears that bother me, it's more the not knowing what exactly is wrong. How serious is this injury? Are you dead? Broken in two? Convulsing? Perhaps empathy is my problem, too much of it. I can't stand seeing someone hurting. I've never wanted to be a nurse or in the medical field whatsoever. I like seeing people happy, living, moving around. And while I'm so so thankful that there are people like our nurse friend that take care of us when we are very ill or just momentarily sick-I can't do it.

Gone for almost two weeks, sleeping in his car and on the ground in a tent, surfing and climbing and driving all the way to North Carolina Chris is injury and pain free. Home for 24 hours and he's fallen through the patio. Sunday we enjoyed more "family time" together at church among friends and at home- just being together.

But today he leaves for yet another trip- and I'm planning my weekend. Other things coming up: August 30th I get to be a hair model for First for Women Magazine. I'm so looking forward to being papered and getting the royal treatment from an expensive salon. We booked our flight home for Thanksgiving. We haven't been home for Thanksgiving or Christmas in three years (I know... ) So, we're going, which means Christmas we'll both be off and be in the city (or not)... I may be in need of a sunny holiday by then. We did discuss phone options for me although I'm becoming quite fond of my Motorola Razor again. Although if I've said it once I've said it 100 times- I can't view photos people!

Fall will be here soon. School will be starting soon (although, this is not something we are allowed to talk about in our house right now). Choir will resume and we'll all be singing Christmas carols and longing for the sunshine again. BUT, for the next few weeks at least I'll be back to eating Luna bars, fresh fruit and salads (since Chris is gone and I'm in no cooking mode). There are a few more days to lay on the sundeck and wear strapy, wedgy sandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment