Thursday, March 3, 2011

About the People

First of all, please accept my apologies for the fact that all my Austin pictures were taken with my Android phone. I did give thought to taking my camera with me, but I decided I really just wanted to spend more time being instead of trying to capture each moment. I just wanted to live without thinking about lighting and settings and how this picture might look hanging in my bedroom or as a screen saver.

So, Austin is composed of people who would live/ have lived in places like New York City or Los Angeles or San Francisco, but they are smarter now and got out. Okay, maybe that's a little stereotypical or presumptuous, but I think it's somewhat true. I think that the freshness and liveliness and creativity that give Austin it's breadth and depth comes from people living there who aren't necessarily from there.

My entire life I've sort of tried to avoid the whole "I'm from Texas hear me roar" mentality. Texans like that are annoying I think. I know there is a bit of Southern hospitality and charm with Texans. It's not just in the camaraderie, but a classifier that most people can relate to. But I have not wanted to be classified, related to or grouped with anyone, especially Texans- even though I qualify. Don't misunderstand me, it's not a bad thing, it's just a Stefani thing. A I don't "pledge allegiance" to Texas, because, quite honestly, I don't think it's bigger, better or badder than any other state.

I know bluebonnet blue runs through my veins, I know it's in my roots somewhere- so perhaps this is the beginning of digging up all that remains uncovered. Texas is great, I just think the arrogance and boastfulness that many people tape on their pick-up trucks or hang on their front doors or wear on their t-shirts is bothersome. It's just plain annoying, and a bit tacky and prideful. And, I've always seen those people on the other side of intelligent. A little. Because it's as if with the Confederate Flag hanging from the front porch we're declaring to all, "I may not be that smart, or have much going for me, but at least I'm from Texas."

Please don't misunderstand me, Texas is a fine place, and being loyal and patriotic and having a tattoo in the shape of Texas is not bad. Just chill with the whole, WE ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE thing. That's all.
....

My point is that in Austin, they have chilled and don't think they are better than everyone else. The people we met there were from, all over: Seattle, San Francisco, New York. And there has to be a reason this city attracts these people: call them yuppies, hippies, vegans, artists, weirdos, whatever. There are alot of them. They support local businesses, are entrepreneurs, eat local and are creative and play outdoors and have a famous live music scene. They do not take themselves as seriously as New Yorkers. They laugh and smile and don't run everywhere they go. They aren't all work and no play.

We actually ran in to a guy who went to Jr. College with us in Tyler, Texas. When he saw Chris and me across the room, he came pouncing right over, arm outstretched, shook Chris's hand with one hand, did the man-hug-back-slap thing with the other, and exclaimed, "Chris Chambers you are so Austin!" We caught up, talked, exchanged phone numbers, it was good.

At a Starbucks near the UT campus the following morning a guy named Troy prayed for us. He commented, "I like your do-rag." Yes, I was rocking the black bandanna, and thus a conversation began. He prayed that we'd be willing and open and obedient to whatever our next move may be as a couple and as individuals. That we'd be still enough to hear God's whisper and have the guts to respond. That we'd be brave, wise and patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment