Friday, March 25, 2011

Birthday Week(end) Plans

While reviewing my List of Things I really Want to Do This Weekend I decided I'd share a few things on the agenda. I changed the name from My Weekend To Do List, because that sounds like chores, not fun activities. But I need a list- so just bare with me:

1. I plan to finally visit Sav-a-thon which is a fabric/ artsy/ sewing supply store up in Spanish Harlem, close to where we live. Several people recommended it to me when I was looking for RIT to dye my blacks. And the time I was looking for iron-on hem. I still haven't been.
I want to mend a purse handle. I have this massive brown leather Lucky Brand purse that has the thinnest leather strap which digs into my shoulder when it's only half way full. I need to be able to maximize the bag capacity. This is a really huge bag. The original woven strap was constantly shedding and broke only after a year or so. This replacement, that the shoe repairman put on, is hardly working for me. I don't really know what I'm looking for but just hope to find inspiration and make something work.

2. Return two library books (a yoga book & a cook book) and pick up Freedom. This was the most popular fiction book of 2010, so I am hoping it's a good read. However, I don't really know if I will get to it quickly enough, as I am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I know I'm a little bit behind the masses, but it is what it is. I just picked it up last weekend and I'm about half way through it now. It's a pretty quick read though.

3. Feed Percy and Bess (my friend Kim's cats) who have also been called Percival and Bessy-Boo from time to time. I'm cat sitting while Kim's in Texas this weekend. While I'm there I probably shop for a new nail color. Kim literally has 50-100 bottles of OPI and Essie nail color, arranged on those little plastic shelves like at the nail salon hanging on her wall. It's insane, but I love it. Right now I'm wearing Poised in Turquoise . Work appropriate? Sure. Age appropriate? Indeed. Perhaps I'll go for a purple or green.

4. Since Chris is conducting Saturday school until noon on Saturday, I was considering having a healthy brunch out somewhere quaint and girly in our neighborhood. Some health nut place that serves shots of wheat-grass, buckwheat pancakes and poached eggs with salmon. I could sit and write drinking coffee served in a china coffee cup.

5. I will NOT be running a 15k (as previously intended) but I will, nonetheless, be picking up my bib number and t-shirt for the Colon Cancer Challenge that will take place on Sunday. I registered last year for this race, and wasn't able to run either. Thus, the hamstring drama continues. This is why I'm resigning myself to the fact that I am not a runner. I am just not. I can run, I like to run, four maybe five miles, but every time I start training for longer distances, I hurt myself. It probably has something to do with those two hours I pounded out on the treadmill in January one Saturday afternoon when I was so angry! (and not at Chris....) I don't take care of my body like I should.

Anyway, my friend Esther, who is Running for Rwanda in two weeks, is taking my spot. This will be a great practice run for her, so I'm glad she can do it.

6. Saturday night, Chris and I have tickets to see Gotham Girls Roller Derby. It may seem odd, but I've always wanted to attend one of these games and this is the first game of the season: a match between the biggest rivals The Cabbies, from the Bronx and The Queens of Pain! I hope it's entertaining if nothing else. It should be fun.

7. Sunday we'll head to church- neither one of us in on the Praise Team, so it'll be a normal Sunday. Except that Chris has youth from 1:00-2:30 or so... and I have a meeting at 1:00, so I guess it will be a long afternoon.

8. And Sunday I am going to make Sweet Potato Oat Bars. I found this recipe in the clean eating book I got at the library. I will get to use my new Coconut butter (which tasted so delicious simply warmed and drizzled over popcorn last night... oh my goodness!!) that Heidi gave me for my birthday. I am finally making them because I will be able to share them with some dear friends I will be visiting Tuesday night in New Jersey. There baby boy Lewis, was born almost three weeks ago and they're thrilled to have guests now. I think I'll also take over some sort of couscous or quinoa salad.

9. I'd love to get a haircut Saturday too- I just need some style. I am growing my hair out, but I hate not having a style. It's been since August since I've had a good haircut (in January I just got a $20 trim). We'll see. It's the $80 price tag that is holding me back.

One more hour until the weekend officially begins for me. I'm meditating on God's whisper to me today,

"All is well. And all will be well.
Let go of your preconceived ideas of who I am, and let me be God."

Happy Weekend Friends!
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment