Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thirty-one

Nothing says Happy Birthday like raw coconut butter. Or a new hair drier. But these are the gifts I have happily received already today.

I woke to a beautifully wrapped box sitting in the chair that I have my devotional in each morning. A tiny white bow was placed on top and a card that read "The Birthday Girl." Chris had wrapped the gift in stripy pink and yellow paper and it looked pristine. If it wouldn't have been taped with heavy packing tape, I would have though he'd paid someone to do it. Inside the package was a metallic pink and black hair drier (which I had hinted at months earlier) from J&R Electronics. When my good blow-drier broke months ago, I replaced it with something from Bed Bath and Beyond- but missed the power of the previous one; it just wasn't the same.

At work, my friend who's just as much a crunchy granola- hippie-vegetable-loving- health-nut person as I am brought me a bag of special treats including Coconut Butter, a raw cookie and a fig smelling candle. Perfect! I love it all! I've been wanting to try coconut butter to bake healthy treats with for awhile now, I just haven't bought any yet. It's supposed to be great simply drizzled on popcorn, on toast, and have amazing health benefits as well. One friend of mine uses it on her skin.

And someone in the office purchased a sampler pack of mini cupcakes for me. (I'm considering freezing one for after Easter, when the Lenten Season has passed.) I was well aware that my birthday fell during these forty days, but that's okay. It's good even.

Yesterday, in the mail, I received: my birth control (which I've been off of for a year, but because of an array of issues, I am back on again), a beautiful James Avery anklet, a green tea gift set, a sassy birthday card, and an invitation to a baby shower. (And can I just say that how much I hate having my prescription filled through the mail? And I have no choice. And since my sister is a pharmacist - and part owner of a local pharmacy- I just dislike the whole "drugs by mail" thing. Plus, who's going to tell me the side effects, what to do/ not do, and how to take certain drugs? Well, I guess that's what I have sister for. I do call her a lot with my medication concerns."

It feels great to be loved so much. I have the greatest family and friends. Today, when it is raining, sleeting and snowing (it is officially Spring now, right?) I have sunshine in my heart. And this day will propel me though tough times to come. I know it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment